My city makes the cover of TIME magazine...

Started by The Larch, August 11, 2009, 05:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

17% unemployment! That's Depression territory.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

I wish my city would be talked about for its high unemployment.  :( 

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 11, 2009, 09:48:28 AM

It seems like in the early to mid 1980s Spain used to regularly have ridiculous levels of unemployment...like 30% IIRC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2009, 10:01:12 AM

It seems like in the early to mid 1980s Spain used to regularly have ridiculous levels of unemployment...like 30% IIRC.
How does a society function like that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 11, 2009, 10:02:48 AM

People who do work must support a lot of dependants.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

My city made the cover back in 1993 when that part of it was washed away.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DisturbedPervert

Emigration.

The Larch

That's not so extraordinary in Spain, we're used to high unemployment like that. It peaked at around 25% in 92-93.

The Larch

Lots of underground economy, specially amongst the self employed. Working "under the table" is the norm in many sectors.

DGuller

By American standards, maybe.  With our limited safety net (although much improved from the times of Great Depression), high unemployment like that would indeed be an enormous strain on society.  European countries can life with higher unmployment like that (on the flip side, they do wind up living with that kind of unemployment frequently).

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on August 11, 2009, 11:14:58 AM
Lots of underground economy, specially amongst the self employed. Working "under the table" is the norm in many sectors.
Is it related to abuse of welfare payments to the unemployed?  Meaning that you don't want to be known as employed for fear of losing or reducing your benefits?

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2009, 11:17:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 11, 2009, 11:14:58 AM
Is it related to abuse of welfare payments to the unemployed?  Meaning that you don't want to be known as employed for fear of losing or reducing your benefits?

Nope, unemployment benefits are not exactly stellar in Spain. It's mostly about skimming taxes.

Duque de Bragança

Bragança had that dubious honour before too  :D