News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spineless Hedgehog!

Started by Sheilbh, March 22, 2009, 09:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Mystery condition leaves hedgehog with no spines
An animal hospital is appealing for help to fix a hedgehog with no spines.
By Anita Singh
Last Updated: 4:17PM GMT 16 Mar 2009

Spud the hedgehog: Mystery condition leaves hedgehog with no spines
Spud the hedgehog Photo: JEFF MOORE

Spud was found wandering in a garden and taken to Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital in Aylesbury, Bucks, last August. Experts are baffled by his condition, which has caused his skin to dry and his spines to fall out. The hospital is asking practitioners of alternative medicine to suggest possible remedies.

The bald animal was christened Spud by hospital staff because, when curled up into a ball, he resembles a potato. He cannot be released back into the wild because hedgehogs are defenceless without their spines and he has no insulation against the cold. Every day, he has a warm bath and a massage with baby oil to keep his skin soft.

Les Stocker, founder of Tiggywinkles, said: "He's part of the family here and very much a character, but we would love to help his condition and release him. When he was brought in he seemed pretty cheesed off with life, but now he's a normal hedgehog in everything but appearance. I don't think he realises he hasn't got any spines."

Spud is one of more than 500 hedgehogs currently receiving treatment at the animal hospital, which also cares for badgers, foxes and injured birds.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

At least he's getting good treatment.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Queequeg

At first I thought this meant spineless as in a lack of a spine, rather than spinyness.  Then I realized that it would be pretty hard to be born, let alone survive for any amount of time, without a spine.  I am fucking sleepy.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Brazen

That'll make it easier to cook.

BVN

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2009, 12:04:24 AM
At first I thought this meant spineless as in a lack of a spine, rather than spinyness.  Then I realized that it would be pretty hard to be born, let alone survive for any amount of time, without a spine.  I am fucking sleepy.
Well, I must admit I made the same mistake if it makes you feel better...

Grey Fox

Isn't that the same problem then that bark-guy in Indonesia?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 23, 2009, 06:35:04 AM
He is a hedgehog whose spines fell off?  :o

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 23, 2009, 06:35:04 AM
Is "bark-guy" the anthromorphic name for a dog?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I guess he didn't collect enough rings.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Maybe it's genetic. They could breed them and make them into pets.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

We call those 'quills'.  When I opened the thread, I was expecting a hedgehog with no backbone.

And seeking advice from practitioners of alternative medicine is a terrible idea.  I doubt that rubbing the hedgehog with 'power crystals' is going to have much of an effect, nor will having it eat a tiger's penis.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Wait a second ...

QuoteTiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital

http://www.amazon.ca/06-Tale-Mrs-Tiggy-Winkle/dp/0723234655

I smell ... hoax.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius