News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jade Goody Dead

Started by Sheilbh, March 22, 2009, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Neil on March 23, 2009, 07:40:37 AM
Naturally.  The Euro countries are all relatively poor and so have large lower classes, and the lower classes are coarse and terrible by there very nature.
Sadly some of them are so poorly educated, they never learn the difference between their and there. :(

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2009, 07:41:54 AMSadly some of them are so poorly educated, they never learn the difference between their and there. :(

Canadia = Euro now? ???
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2009, 07:41:54 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 23, 2009, 07:40:37 AM
Naturally.  The Euro countries are all relatively poor and so have large lower classes, and the lower classes are coarse and terrible by there very nature.
Sadly some of them are so poorly educated, they never learn the difference between their and there. :(
Die in a fire.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2009, 04:35:56 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on March 22, 2009, 11:42:28 PM
I have a hard time grokking this, but I never heard of this chicka until her media-fulled death watch. her celebrity sounds really weird.

yes, tabloids are low calorie, bad nutrition. like english food. is this really the first time teh tabs have been analysed by other media?

Never heard of her either till Languish.  Really didn't know anything about her till I read this article.  It's very weird.
Same here for me. Good read though in the OP.

Richard Hakluyt

It's an interesting phenomenon. My hypothesis is that these talentless celebrities are a substitute for the social needs that used to be met by neighbours and family. Instead of having a real life, isolated people gaze  at the television and live through that.

People with more get up and go play WoW and/or gossip on boards like this of course  :)

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 23, 2009, 11:06:22 AM
It's an interesting phenomenon. My hypothesis is that these talentless celebrities are a substitute for the social needs that used to be met by neighbours and family. Instead of having a real life, isolated people gaze  at the television and live through that.

People with more get up and go play WoW and/or gossip on boards like this of course  :)
So by gossiping about why we shouldn't talk about the famous-for-being famous here, are we in danger of creating some kind of wormhole in the fabric of the space-time continuum?

Richard Hakluyt

What is interesting is that even intelligent and well-educated people like sheilbh get sucked into the reality vortex  ???

Perhaps, once a certain percentage of the population is interested in such matters, it becomes almost impossible for the remainder to ignore them. One can say, loftily, that Jade Goody doesn't matter; but I think that would be an error; she matters (in the UK) because millions of people are talking about her.

Brazen

Shelf would have to hand in his gay card if he didn't show interest in reality TV, though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 23, 2009, 11:28:45 AM
What is interesting is that even intelligent and well-educated people like sheilbh get sucked into the reality vortex  ???
It's irresistable.  I've not had a TV aerial for 3 years (I use my TV for DVDs only) and a big part of that is that I know I get very easily addicted to reality TV.  Though I have some standards.  My favourites are the Apprentice and Big Brother.  I also love kitchen ones, though I prefer The Restaurant to Hell's Kitchen.  Having said that I think I fell a little in love with Marco Pierre White a couple of years ago.

I don't like the ones with celebrities or to do with dancing.

I blame this on fly-on-the-wall documentaries when I was growing up.  I loved the one about the Adelphi in Liverpool ('just cook will you, cook!') and right now I think Sissinghurst is just a joy.

And I just looked up Batboy and I think tabloid maybe means a different thing in the US.  The ones here deal with serious news as well, not just celebrity and stuff.  They're incredibly entertaining and extraordinarily biased.  They're also the most popular newspapers in the country and any one of them has a higher circulation than any American paper with the exception of USA Today.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 23, 2009, 11:06:22 AM

There is probably something to this.  The idea of being a part of a large social community, with its gossip, support, shaming, and even ostracism is often lost for the modern person.  We get to live our lives now through an imagined community.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2009, 07:22:42 AM
Could it be that Britain has become EVEN TRASHIER than its notoriously lowbrow offspring the United States? :(
We've always been trashier.  America's vulgar.  There's a difference.

Trashy is, if you'll excuse the phrase, white trash, Gin Alley, bearded ladies, royalty on plates, cottage scenes and mawkish Victorian sentimentality.
Vulgar is what trashiness is without such a big class system.  Vulgar can make it, trashy never can :p
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2009, 11:43:47 AM
And I just looked up Batboy and I think tabloid maybe means a different thing in the US.  The ones here deal with serious news as well, not just celebrity and stuff.  They're incredibly entertaining and extraordinarily biased.  They're also the most popular newspapers in the country and any one of them has a higher circulation than any American paper with the exception of USA Today.

Well, yeah, their circulation is larger, because as I understand it, they're nation-wide.  Here in the US, USA Today and the WSJ are essentially the only nation-wide daily newspapers--for the most part, our newspapers are local.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2009, 12:19:06 PM
Well, yeah, their circulation is larger, because as I understand it, they're nation-wide.  Here in the US, USA Today and the WSJ are essentially the only nation-wide daily newspapers--for the most part, our newspapers are local.
Yeah I understand that.  The local newspapers is part of why the American papers more dull, worthy and trustworthy.

Although I think even taking population and so on into account the UK is one of biggest newspaper consumers in the world.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2009, 11:43:47 AM
Hell's Kitchen.

Have you seen the American version of HK?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2009, 02:06:02 PM
Yeah I understand that.  The local newspapers is part of why the American papers more dull, worthy and trustworthy.

Although I think even taking population and so on into account the UK is one of biggest newspaper consumers in the world.
True, but in part that is because British newspapers are generally so small in page count.  It was easier for me to read two newspapers in Britain than one in the US.  I would add, though, that it was also a lot more fun.  There are adavantages and disadvantages to having papers that don't take themselves too seriously.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!