News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chiquita Banana and AUC

Started by Admiral Yi, August 09, 2009, 06:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2009, 06:45:06 AM
If more beaners get greased, and I get delicious bananas at low prices well, then fuck the beaners.
First you get the bananas, then you get the the women.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2009, 03:24:28 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 09, 2009, 10:21:01 PM
It's a troubling concept.  Take it to an individual - should you hold a shop owner liable because he pays protection money to the mafia (or else his business gets vandalized) for the other crimes the mafia perpetrates?
Exactly what I was thinking.

But the flip side is that it is forseeable that giving money to a terrorist organization (and AUC was on the terrorist list) will fund terrorism (yes CdM, I'm looking at you).

If this was merely a bribe, or an easier way of doing business, then why shouldn't they be liable?

Because I'm a criminal lawyer I think of everything in terms of criminal law.  The defense of necessity might apply - if there was no other reasonable legal alternative available you can be excused for breaking the law.  But the Banana people would have to show there was no reasonable alternative.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 10, 2009, 12:18:46 PM
But the flip side is that it is forseeable that giving money to a terrorist organization (and AUC was on the terrorist list) will fund terrorism (yes CdM, I'm looking at you).

If this was merely a bribe, or an easier way of doing business, then why shouldn't they be liable?

Because I'm a criminal lawyer I think of everything in terms of criminal law.  The defense of necessity might apply - if there was no other reasonable legal alternative available you can be excused for breaking the law.  But the Banana people would have to show there was no reasonable alternative.

I think in the case of protection money, it's reasonable that the level of force necessary to invalidate the threat would have been illegal for a non-government entity.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 10, 2009, 12:25:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 10, 2009, 12:18:46 PM

I think in the case of protection money, it's reasonable that the level of force necessary to invalidate the threat would have been illegal for a non-government entity.
Blackwater :ph34r:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

They gave me free bananas at a recent event, and Jaron says yes, so I'll state a firm NO.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2009, 12:33:39 PM
They gave me free bananas at a recent event, and Jaron says yes, so I'll state a firm NO.

Turn those bananas into a puddin'. Kids love banana pudding.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2009, 12:35:21 PM

Chocolate Pudding Uber Alles!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2009, 12:26:48 PM
Blackwater :ph34r:

Blackwater is authorized as a private contractor for the state department, and DOJ has questioned its status since State Department contractors are exempt from military law, as of 2006. :contract:
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2009, 12:35:47 PM

Chocolate Pudding Uber Alles!

Fag.

lustindarkness

It all goes back to the times of 100 Years of Solitude.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

I turned 'em into something else  :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2009, 12:50:42 PM

I turned 'em into something else  :ph34r:

We don't want to hear about the sex toys.  :mad:

derspiess

The Brain

On the one hand you have a nasty terrorist organization. On the other sweet golden bananas. Not much of a choice, is there?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.