Started by merithyn, August 09, 2009, 01:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the topic

Yes, like a fish!
Enough to keep my head above water
No

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on August 09, 2009, 02:24:27 PM
:huh: Yes, I learned to swim when I was a little kid at the shore, but they made everyone take swim classes in school, so I didn't know anyone at all growing up who didn't know how.  I guess I kinda assumed everyone did, really.
Same :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Most schools in HK do not have a swimming pool.  My school was kinda special.  It didn't have a pool, but it did possess the development rights to a small lot near the school.  That was worth hundreds of millions. 

At some point the school decided to sell the rights to a developer, and one of the conditions of the sale was that the developer needed to build an indoor pool for the exclusive use of the school.  So toward the end of my highschool years we had a pool. 

I found that half of the class couldn't swim.  At the end of the school year, the same people still couldn't swim, because swimming lessons consisted of theory and self-study  :lol:

merithyn

We had lessons at the local pool, had a wading pool at the local park, my mom was a champion swimmer in Connecticut before she moved to Iowa so she taught us, plus we had lessons in school. All three of us kids are pretty good swimmers, though none of us competed in the sport in school.

Even with local pools everywhere in Des Moines and lessons in school, I knew plenty of people who couldn't swim. It just seemed... odd.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Monoriu

I was lucky.  My dad was a senior civil servant, so he was eligible for quarters.  Back then, the majority of HK government quarters were occupied by British expats, who demanded and received private pools.  So I could learn. 

saskganesh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 10, 2009, 03:43:53 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 09, 2009, 08:36:46 PM
Yes.  Competitive swimming and water polo until the end of high school (city and "school" leagues), but not fish-like enough to get a scholarship anywhere.  Welp.

Apparently on Languish, the ability to cross from one side of the pool to the other without touching the ground is fish-like.  ;)
that's difficult with wading pools.
humans were created in their own image

Sahib

WTF? There have to be more than two people besides me who can't swim  <_< :Embarrass: :cry:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Malthus

Yes; I haven't really swum distances since I was a teen, though (I was once required to swim a mile in order to qualify for a place on a brigantine sailing camp).

Carl is learning to swim, and he's only 3 and a half.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

When we were becalmed in the doldrums south of the Equator after we left the Galapagos I went swimming off of the sailboat in the middle of the ocean.  That was cool, but it was 500 miles to shore, so I am glad I didn't have to try to make that...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Cecil

Been swimming since I was three years old. Probably dont do it as well these days but yeah, still got the basics.

Ed Anger

The water rejects me, so people try to burn me as a witch.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Hard to imagine not knowing how to swim. Clan Berkut are taught to swim whether they like it or not at a very young age.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

lustindarkness

I learned to swim in the ocean, head above water with no style kinda swimming, no swim team material.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: Sahib on August 10, 2009, 07:48:28 AM
WTF? There have to be more than two people besides me who can't swim  <_< :Embarrass: :cry:

Apparently not  :console:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2009, 05:03:58 PM
I do. It's funny with me, because when I was a kid (like 10 y.o.) my parents would send me to swimming lessons and it was a horror as I couldn't learn it at all, and I was afraid of water and whatnot. Then, when I was like 17 I just went into a swimming pool and started swimming. :P

That sounds pretty similar to me, but a little earlier than 17.

DGuller

I can swim, but I can't stay afloat while doing it.