And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Cecil on August 08, 2009, 11:18:48 AM
Quote from: Norgy on August 08, 2009, 10:29:18 AM
Also, if anyone has a link to a swastika-filled graphics pack, I would be grateful.

Jaysus when are they ever going to get over that one?

Swastika = bad
Hitler like caricature delivering tutorial= good.

Go figure.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DisturbedPervert

So a grognard WWII strategy game requires a more powerful computer than cutting edge fps games?  Great design decision there...

Tamas

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 08, 2009, 11:34:48 AM
So a grognard WWII strategy game requires a more powerful computer than cutting edge fps games?  Great design decision there...

I guess they will further optimize but with convoys and various AIs and crapload of provinces and research and who knows what, there has to be a LOT of calculations going on.

BTW I think they had a people with no considerable historical knowledge design the map and province names using modern maps. This is not only visible from Stalingrad, but stuff like the Hungarian province names being actually quite decent (not that many major cities to choose from so no chance of a real mixup) except for "Dunaújváros" which was a city built from scratch in the 50s. And Budapest is on the NE side of the (ridioucsly shaped) Danube instead of west of it represent the great defensive value of the river. That was probably due to most of the city actually being on the eastern side. I dont even mention that the scene of one of the longest and bloodiest sieges outside of the Soviet Union is represented as plains.

garbon

If you want a historical look, buy an atlas. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

OK.  I shall buy this in September, when I return from vacation.  By then I'm hoping the major problems will be fixed and Norgy will have created Mods to improve the grand campaign.

PDH!

Iormlund

:huh:
Cutting edge FPS task the GPU, but have much less stuff going on CPU-wise than a strategy game like HoI. It is only natural that AI will use a lot more CPU in this kind of game.
Also, Johan seems to have gone for flexibility rather than speed here. Which, while terrible news for many now, is much better in the long run. If AI is completely accessible through Lua scripts modders will be able to do great things without needing access to the .EXE.

Ancient Demon

I'll buy this game when it comes bundled with it's three expansions in 2011.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Iormlund on August 08, 2009, 12:16:15 PM
:huh:
Cutting edge FPS task the GPU, but have much less stuff going on CPU-wise than a strategy game like HoI. It is only natural that AI will use a lot more CPU in this kind of game.
Also, Johan seems to have gone for flexibility rather than speed here. Which, while terrible news for many now, is much better in the long run. If AI is completely accessible through Lua scripts modders will be able to do great things without needing access to the .EXE.

It doesn't really matter to most people whether it's taxing the graphics card or the cpu, the fact remains that this game currently requires a very high end computer to play at an acceptable perfomance.  This is a very niche game, it should run well on even older systems.  Kinda like all the Paradox games used to.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on August 08, 2009, 07:26:53 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2009, 01:38:05 AM
^My current favorite is the one where HoI3 literally destroyed someone's computer.
How in the fuck did that happen?

Some guy's old GPU failed/overheated/toasted within moments of running the game.  I'm hyperbolic for effect--pretty certainly it was his hardware, not HoI3, but I wouldn't be all that shocked.

This has, however, made decide to get a new video card before getting this.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

ulmont

After going through and playing the demo again, I'm starting to really like the theater AI concept.

I'm definitely going to wait to hear if the 1.2 has decent performance improvements and fixes the most glaring bugs first, though.

Faeelin

Sigh. Apparently the game won't get that much faster, beacuse there's "so much stuff going on."  :cry:

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on August 08, 2009, 01:11:46 PM
Sigh. Apparently the game won't get that much faster, beacuse there's "so much stuff going on."  :cry:

Looking at the modding section calls bullshit...apparently if you scale back the trading / intelligence AI a bit (running say every 5 ticks instead of every tick), you can get like a 50% speedup.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418002

Plus, NA was able to dramatically improve EU3's performance, and HOI3 hasn't been similarly optimized yet, so there should be a lot of room for improvement (just optimizing their LUA ought to help a lot).

PRC

Performance issues are my biggest complaint so far.  I do have an older machine (with a relatively new and decent vid card though) and at top speed the game just doesn't progress very quickly.  I've turned off trees, water, anti-aliasing on my vid card and that has helped but not much.  I like the game but it could definitely use some optimization for performance.

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2009, 12:30:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 08, 2009, 07:26:53 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2009, 01:38:05 AM
^My current favorite is the one where HoI3 literally destroyed someone's computer.
How in the fuck did that happen?

Some guy's old GPU failed/overheated/toasted within moments of running the game.  I'm hyperbolic for effect--pretty certainly it was his hardware, not HoI3, but I wouldn't be all that shocked.

This has, however, made decide to get a new video card before getting this.

Once when I played the demo my screen went all psychedelic like....all nice mushroomy colours after about an hour or so? Not sure. I imagine that's a grpahics card overheating?

I decided to load it up today. Played the demo for about an hour without issue.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on August 08, 2009, 01:56:04 PM
Once when I played the demo my screen went all psychedelic like....all nice mushroomy colours after about an hour or so? Not sure. I imagine that's a grpahics card overheating?

I decided to load it up today. Played the demo for about an hour without issue.

It sounds like the graphics card.. that or Fear and Loathing in LV.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk