News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Managed to grab a copy for £21 because of some refunded postage sitting in my paypal account. Downloading now.

It's no doubt horribly buggy as I see from all the complaints, but considering I work two floors above one of the best libraries of military history in the UK, I could not resist.  :Embarrass:

Anyone for some Multiplayer? That's one way of getting around atrocious AI :D
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Tamas

Okay so I had a glance at 1.00. There is no excuse for the fucked up diplomacy and especially no excuse for the map errors which frankly just insult the intelligence of all customers, but guys this engine is some serious shit.

Altough I havent learned to use it effectively, I just love the idea of giving objectives to HQ units. (btw remembering the kamikaze port raids against Germany in 1939, I sent out my kriegsmarine on various patrol missions and they did encounter and repell some destroyer-transport combo small fleets as I could see). Research seems to make more sense even if its much harder to oversee at first glance.

I am definetly not saying you should buy it now (I might end up because I am way too bored, dang), but the potential behind this engine is mind-blowing.
It would just be great if Johan and co. would stop marketing their stuff as "games" and start calling them "customizable engines"

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2009, 01:38:05 AM
^My current favorite is the one where HoI3 literally destroyed someone's computer.
How in the fuck did that happen?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Norgy

Nah, I actually see few bugs in this one compared to, say, oh well, HoI 1 and HoI 2.

Sure, there is going to be some minor detail that needs ironing out, but this is a Good Game even on release.

I just suck great big donkey balls at it.

I managed to have Chuikov and Zhukov putting up camp just outside Berlin in 1942 in a Germany attempt. So I think I might need to look a bit closer at how I do things.

I tried the UK again today, and yes, Neil, there are dreadnoughts to build.
There is also being surrounded in Belgium and Norway and lose 5 hard-earned divisions.

Airwar seems to work well. I lost all my planes trying air superiority in France when Germany came a'knocking.

I only have this negative to say: Gulsvik, Johan? Really? Should that perhaps be Gjøvik?

All in all, HoI3 is a really fucking fantastic game if you like, like, history and stuff.  :lol:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Norgy on August 08, 2009, 08:16:25 AM
Nah, I actually see few bugs in this one compared to, say, oh well, HoI 1 and HoI 2.

This is true.  There does seem to be less wrong with it when compared to the initial releases of certain "classic" Paradox games.  This 1.1 isn't as cool/fun/hahaha as the 1.1 or 1.01 (whichever) Victoria patch that made the immigration and (IIRC) pop growth in the new world blow through the roof though.  That was a great broken patch.

I remember having a game as Texas with that first patch with like 250,000,000+ people living in my country only about halfway through the scenario and trying to get involved in on of the European land wars.  It was awesome being able to shrug off the loss of a 600,000 man stack (everyone made peace and they were stuck in the middle of some country over there).

Edit:  Oh wow...some guy maybe figured out why it was so slow:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417809   

That temporary fix in post 75 took me from 10 - 12 seconds per day to less than 10 (about 7 second average), so it helps a little.

Razgovory

I'm going to wait for a few patches.  HOI2 was not bad out of the box.  HOI 1 not so much.  I fear this will be more like Victoria which never really was fixed well enough.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Cecil

So the verdict is that you need some sort of future computer.....from space to run this?

MadBurgerMaker

Heh.  If I just take out the ai_diplomacy and ai_foreign_minister files, it's 3 seconds per day.  No trade or diplomatic AI though, obviously.  The max daily trade thing, while improving the speed, also means the player can't trade more than 2.5 of...whatever you want to trade.  So that's not going to work.

QuoteSo the verdict is that you need some sort of future computer.....from space to run this?

No. 

Here's the very basics of mine:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ (2.7ghz)
Radeon HD 3600 1gb
2gb noname RAM
Vista Business 32bit

Not a future space computer.  In fact, it's really starting to need some upgrades.

Edit:  And a temporary fix for that IC bug thing with the regiments, Norgy:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417842

Should work pretty well, although with some side effects, if it actually does what it appears it should (increase peacetime IC by 40%...you'll have to add the 40% more resources to cover it as well).  If the bug means you require 40% more IC in peacetime to cover the consumer goods required, well...there you go.

The laws "fix" a little further down might be better, since it directly addresses the CG needs.

Norgy

I have a 4 gig and quad core rig, and the game runs smoothly for me.

I bet if you try and and run it on some mediocre laptop with 2 gigs and an old processor, there will be issues, but it runs well under Vista and with 4 gigs.

And, Warspite, sure. I am always game for some MP.

Norgy

Also, if anyone has a link to a swastika-filled graphics pack, I would be grateful.

Tamas

Quote from: Norgy on August 08, 2009, 10:22:14 AM
I have a 4 gig and quad core rig, and the game runs smoothly for me.

:yes:

Cecil

Quote from: Norgy on August 08, 2009, 10:29:18 AM
Also, if anyone has a link to a swastika-filled graphics pack, I would be grateful.

Jaysus when are they ever going to get over that one?

Syt

Good to hear that the engine is ok.

I will look what patches and add ons and mods do to this and maybe pick it up later, then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alcibiades

I like it, lot going on at once though.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Norgy

Probably in a few hundred years. When Hitler is remembered for being a terrific dancer and a few marbles short of a full set.

The whole idea that we need to ban stuff because it was at some point used to rally people to do uninimaginable acts is silly.

Let us get it all out in the open, and then maybe we can avoid it happening again and maybe you know, learn from history and shit. Which we Europeans have seemed so apt at the past 500 years.