News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on August 07, 2009, 10:20:18 PM
Even with my new video card it runs like crap.  Or at least the demo did.

It's more of a processor type game.  It's also a lot slower time wise than HoI2 (I don't know about EU3, I don't seem to have that installed anymore).  It's taking about 10 - 12 seconds per day for me when I have it on the highest time compression setting.

Edit:  As far as that IC bug goes...I dunno (haven't played or fought or even really payed attention to any majors)...it's just what some guy on their forums said.  There's some other funny shit in the bug reporting section though.  For example, influence might work in reverse (go to influence a country to make them your buddy, and they just get more and more pissed at you). 

Oh and one I've personally noticed:  The AI can build shit that you don't have the tech for.  So like...if you want some TACs, but haven't researched them, set production to AI control and blammo!  Tactical bombers!  :D  An HQ has to be saying it needs them for the AI to build them though.  I guess.

Weatherman

some of the threads on pdox are a hoot. Finland annexing Albania; one guy had Mexico invade Germany.

Ideologue

^My current favorite is the one where HoI3 literally destroyed someone's computer.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Threviel

Quote from: Weatherman on August 08, 2009, 12:33:21 AM
some of the threads on pdox are a hoot. Finland annexing Albania; one guy had Mexico invade Germany.

I had Mexico invade my germany when playing the 44-scenario... And this just a few days in since I don't have the patience to play more cause the game is so damn slow.

Fate

I started as the Soviets in the 1936 scenario. Five hours later, it's 1940. The Winter War was won in two months. Finland is now a Soviet puppet. The Allies didn't seem to like my aggressive behavior, so now I am now engaged in a ground war against the British Indian expeditionary force in Central Asia. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have transferred all of my Siberian troops to Murmansk...  :lol:

In other news:

Germany successfully invaded and annexed France in the winter of '39 by punching through the Maginot line head on.

Britain steamrolled Ethiopia and Libya in about half a year.

Germany doesn't seem to want to declare war on Belgium, Luxembourg, or the Netherlands. They did invade and annex Nationalist Spain, however.  :rolleyes:

Some Chinese minor nation (Shanxi or something like those lines) annexed all of Manchuria, and the Korea peninsula.

I look forward to Barbarossa. I have a feeling that I'm about to get overrun. I've barely built any armies in addition to what I started the game with. There wasn't much IC available. Supplies are taking up the vast majority of any non-consumer goods IC.

Syt

If you want history read a book.  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ape

Found this beautifull image on an strategy board  :D

One thing is for certain, I will not be getting that game any time soon, Paradox at it's finest  :lmfao:

Tamas

Well the 1936 start was fooked up in HoI2 as well.

Finland landing in Albania is not a problem, it is not more stupid of an idea than Aussies landing at the Dardanelles. The problem is Finland joining the allies that early.

What is totally horrible however is the stuff like the placement of Stalingrad, and then OHGamer coming and telling people at least it just only slightly off and not in Spain, and that it still pays the same VP so just STFU.
And of course his mapmod which fixes this is behind the "register your game zone". Which I still might, if I end up liking the pirated version, which by all purposes be a fantasy game set in WW2 tech, due to map issues and apparently messed up diplomacy system.

Maladict

What's the deal with hiding the mod forum anyway?
They did it with EU3, then made it read-only after people started bitching.
They did it again with Rome, said it was by mistake and made it read-only when people started bitching.
And now they're doing it again?

Ape

Quote from: Tamas on August 08, 2009, 04:12:12 AM

Finland landing in Albania is not a problem, it is not more stupid of an idea than Aussies landing at the Dardanelles. The problem is Finland joining the allies that early.

apparently messed up diplomacy system.

If you think Finland joining the allies is bad, look at the pic I posted, Switzerland, USA and Denmark all have joined the allies..... in -38  :lmfao:

Agelastus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2009, 10:46:13 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 07, 2009, 08:53:52 PM
You sayin' the major nations have no IC because Paradox fucked up the very first patch that was supposed to fix the bugs in their initial release? 

If so, that's pretty sad and hilarious.

:mad: :cry:

It's not funny to a man who actually bought the downloadable version at an inflated price just to have an extra week's fun making the Empire RULE!!!!

:lmfao:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on August 08, 2009, 04:12:12 AM

What is totally horrible however is the stuff like the placement of Stalingrad, and then OHGamer coming and telling people at least it just only slightly off and not in Spain, and that it still pays the same VP so just STFU.
And of course his mapmod which fixes this is behind the "register your game zone". Which I still might, if I end up liking the pirated version, which by all purposes be a fantasy game set in WW2 tech, due to map issues and apparently messed up diplomacy system.

Pretty much what I just posted in the Copenhagen thread over there.

I've bought every P'dox game since EU1, but this one really breaks it for me. It's not only that this is the most inaccurate map of any Paradox game, it's that it turns the game into a fantasy game. A WW2 game can only be as good as its map.

What's even worse is their, "If you - or reality - don't agree, you can easily mod it."

I know that Paradox games rely heavily on unpaid betas doing a lot of the research (province histories, POP data etc.). Now they appear ready to take it to the next level by skipping (or possibly ignoring) meticulous research during beta and putting out their engine for modders to turn it into a realistic game. I've enjoyed every Paradox game without mods so far (the map was there, and the gameplay was fun enough to a casual played like me), but having to look at a map that can't even get basics right like which side of a fucking river towns are, or where the Argentine capital is, or New York, or Stalingrad makes me wonder what else they messed up for the sake of "playability", "new player friendliness" etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Oh damn, its out :o
So...Considering EU3 runs like a absolute dog I guess HOI3 is also one to buy when I have my super mega octo-core one terra hurt processor of the future?
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2009, 05:38:39 AM
Oh damn, its out :o
So...Considering EU3 runs like a absolute dog I guess HOI3 is also one to buy when I have my super mega octo-core one terra hurt processor of the future?

Yes. Possibly even the one after that.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on August 08, 2009, 04:23:31 AM
What's the deal with hiding the mod forum anyway?
They did it with EU3, then made it read-only after people started bitching.
They did it again with Rome, said it was by mistake and made it read-only when people started bitching.
And now they're doing it again?

It seems it has become visible now.  :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould