News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you pronounce the "t" in the word "best"?

Started by garbon, August 05, 2009, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

Yes
25 (89.3%)
No
1 (3.6%)
I don't know what this is about.
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

garbon

I usually do, but depending on the day and time...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2009, 09:50:38 PM
I usually do, but depending on the day and time...
You should always strive to pronounce words properly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Don't pretty much all white people pronounce the t?

grabon: any other street talk you like to use?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

BuddhaRhubarb

Unless I'm sho drunkhic ican schpheak probberry
:p

BVN

As we use the same word in my language and we pronounce the "t", I do the same in english.

But who pronounces "best" without the "t"?

Monoriu

Quote from: BVN on August 06, 2009, 04:07:21 AM

But who pronounces "best" without the "t"?

A lot of Chinese do not pronounce the t.  No Chinese word end with a "t" sound. 

Admiral Yi

Blacks in DC drop a lot of consonants.  As in:

Washinton Poas, fitty sen! Washinton Poas, fitty sen!

Josquius

If you don't you're saying a totally different word.

QuoteA lot of Chinese do not pronounce the t.  No Chinese word end with a "t" sound. 
Can't you do the Japanese thing and say bestu, besto (yum, gravy) or whatever would be more natural in Chinese?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2009, 04:30:10 AM
Blacks in DC drop a lot of consonants.  As in:

Washinton Poas, fitty sen! Washinton Poas, fitty sen!

....sigh....

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 06, 2009, 05:31:01 AM
....sigh....

All the other crap I can handle to a certain degree.  But the "cent" thing just gets under my skin.  Unless you're talking about a penny, it's plural, FFS :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall