News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is American Cuisine?

Started by Faeelin, March 22, 2009, 08:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

American food is great. What kind of sick fuck wouldn't like it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on March 22, 2009, 09:30:36 AM
If there is anything distinctive about American cuisine in general, it is probably along the lines of more extensive use of deep fat frying, but even that is not all that general.
I think the Scots got there first ;)
Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on March 22, 2009, 09:30:36 AM
So is cuisine now defined simply as a list of foods?  If we use the morely accepted meaning along the lines of "a distinctive style of cooking" I maintain that there is no "American Cuisine" but simply a collection of them, generally derived from other, more national cuisines.  If there is anything distinctive about American cuisine in general, it is probably along the lines of more extensive use of deep fat frying, but even that is not all that general.
That's exactly why I had to break it into a list of typically American foods.  Really, there are foods typically associated with Americans, but there's no style that's uniquely and exclusively "American." As I said, the closest we get are uniquely American interpretations of other cuisines.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

There's no style that's French or Italian either.  The things we identify with those countries, within those countries, have strong regional associations.

And, you know, what's the French tradition.  Cordon bleu sauces and creams and great technique, or rustic bourgeois cooking.  Escoffier or boeuf en daube?
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Tex-Mex is American, it is border food but it is from the interplay of US and Northern Mexican influences - and it is mostly found on this side of the border.  Go to central Mexico and order your favorite "Mexican" dishes and I am sure you will get a healthy dose of the "Idiot Guerro" look.

If we exclude dishes from national cuisine that cross borders, then we end up with...nothing as a national dish.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

This thread is making me hungry.

Ed Anger

I'd tell the german cunt to stop going to Mickey D's, Long John Silver and Outback. But that is me, international ambassador.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2009, 12:17:38 PM
I'd tell the german cunt to stop going to Mickey D's, Long John Silver and Outback. But that is me, international ambassador.

Also, punch her in the mouth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

the blueberry ones are better.  :-\
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2009, 12:25:33 PM

the blueberry ones are better.  :-\

OK, I just lost my appetite.  :(

EDIT:  also, the smilies here still suck.

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_dishes

* American Parfait
    * Amish Friendship Bread
    * Animal Crackers
    * Angel food cake
    * Boston baked beans
    * Banana split
    * Brownies
    * Buffalo meat (steaks, roasts, and burgers)
    * Beignet
    * Boiled peanuts
    * Buffalo wings
    * Buttermilk pie
    * Brunswick stew
    * Calamari, fried
    * Cheeseburger
    * Cheesesteak
    * Chicken pot pie
    * Chicken, fried
    * Chili: Chili con carne and Cincinnati chili
    * Chitterlings
    * Chow-chow
    * Chocolate chip cookies
    * Cioppino
    * Clam Chowder
    * Cornbread
    * Corn dog
    * Corn chowder
    * Cotton candy
    * Crabcake
    * Corn on the cob
    * Cream cheese
    * Depression cake

* Doughnuts
    * Dirty rice
    * Eskimo Pie
    * Fast food
    * Fudge
    * Garbage plate
    * Gardenburger
    * Goetta
    * Green bean casserole
    * Grits
    * Grilled pizza
    * Gumbo
    * Ham, hickory-smoked
    * Hamburgers
          o Sliders
    * Hoppin' John
    * Hot dish
    * Hot dogs
    * Hot fudge sundae
    * Hush puppies
    * Ice cream cone
    * Ice cream soda
    * Jambalaya
    * Jello and Jello salad
    * Layer cake
    * Luther Burger
    * Macaroni and cheese
    * Mashed potatoes
    * Moon Pie
    * Muffuletta sandwich
    * Onion rings

* Okra, fried
    * Pancake (or Hotcakes)
    * Peanut butter
          o Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
    * Pecan pie
    * Pecan pralines
    * Popcorn
    * Popsicle
    * Potato Chips
    * Poundcake
    * Pumpkin pie
    * Red velvet cake
    * Ribs, barbecued
    * Rice Krispie treat
    * Root beer float
    * Rocky Mountain oysters
    * San Francisco Sourdough bread
    * Scrapple
    * Shrimp and Grits
    * Shrimp Creole
    * Shoo-fly pie
    * Sloppy joe
    * SPAM
    * Soul food
    * Spiedie
    * Stuffing
    * Submarine sandwich (Grinder, Hero, Po' Boy, or Hoagie)
    * Sweet potato pie
    * Turkey dinner (Roast Turkey, Cranberry sauce, etc.)
    * Toasted ravioli
    * Twinkie
    * Whoopie pies
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I never thought of Animal Crackers as a dish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017