News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The March of Lies

Started by Slargos, August 04, 2009, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on August 05, 2009, 04:39:39 AM
The official number they are forced to report to the relevant EU authority on the subject is around 8% but that's still fudged.

Yeah, you've made a really good case for that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2009, 12:47:45 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 05, 2009, 04:39:39 AM
The official number they are forced to report to the relevant EU authority on the subject is around 8% but that's still fudged.

Yeah, you've made a really good case for that.

No, I just realized after my initial burst of outrage that any effort in detailing the situation is wasted here.

The Brain

Why do you get upset, Slarg?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2009, 06:36:52 PM
I know an awful lot of 16 year olds through to college-aged without jobs, too. You want to count that in your unemployment numbers with your stay-at-home parents? What about the early retirees?

heh, those have a different number where they're accounted in.
iirc, it's called something like total employment-rate which basically measures the amount of people of working age that have a payed job.

The Brain

I yell at unemployed people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

I would have thought that the important thing was to have a definition that was consistently applied between countries and across time periods, for comparison purposes. Whether "unemployment" totals 18% or 5% is meaningless as an absolute figure. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on August 06, 2009, 08:00:21 AM
I would have thought that the important thing was to have a definition that was consistently applied between countries and across time periods, for comparison purposes. Whether "unemployment" totals 18% or 5% is meaningless as an absolute figure.

Yes and no.

When 5% is touted as "we're doing fine, really, there's nothing to worry your pretty little heads about. Infact, we probably need a couple of hundred thousand more people to get to a healthy level of employment" it is a meaningful subject.  ;)

Mostly though, it's the way that public discourse in this country has turned to lies and deception as a matter of course.

An attitude of "some white paint and spackle and no one will be the wiser!"