News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Started by Syt, March 22, 2009, 06:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 22, 2009, 05:14:41 PM
What will be the next stupid craze? Terminator 5: War and Peace?

Hmmmm. The battle of Auerstädt with Smurfs. Davout's III corps vs Papa Smurf's village.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2009, 03:40:11 PM
Actually I think there's a book coming out where Austen is Vampire with writer's block.

When I was young and foolish I occasionally watched the "Highlander" TV show.  There was one very bad episode where George Gordon, Lord Byron was an immortal who had gotten into alternative rock and was now drugging people and killing them.  There was a lot of flashbacks and in the end Duncan beheads him.  This led to a competition between my brother and I to see who could come up with the worst possible idea for a Highlander show.

My idea:  There's an immortal bull who has contracted mad cow disease.  This bull had been a friend of Duncan's and had guarded his herd on the trail when Duncan had been a cowboy; so Duncan is faced with a moral dilemma of whether or not to kill his old friend.  In the end he decides he must and faces the bull in a bullfight; killing and beheading the bull in the ring.

My brother's:  Hitler and Stalin are both immortal; have put aside their differences and are now running a bagel stand in Buenos Aires.  The Mossad kidnaps Hitler and Duncan and Stalin try to get him back, but Hitler and Stalin both end up getting beheaded and we learn that we should all get along.

I never thought I'd see a worse idea than those, but Jane Austen as an immortal with writer's block sounds like it might be a start.  She could be trapped by an evil immortal; Duncan saves her from the other immortal and they share an all too brief, but happy tryst.  They must part at the end of the episode as an issue from Duncan's past forces him to move on, but Jane's writer's block is cured.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Camerus

Sounds unoriginal and tedious.  Pass.

Syt

I think the idea works best when you take one genre (in this case a romantic 19th century novel) and contrast it with something pretty much the polar opposite (gory zombie fiction).

I'd imagine it'd be difficult with War and Peace, because it already has action/war and romance/peace.

You'd also want a piece of work that you can keep largely unchanged but can add stuff onto it - I'm rather curious to see how Pride and Prejudice will work with the original story and the "added stuff" in between (also gives me an excuse to read P&P). I'd say it's a bit similar to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead in a way that it keeps the original intact and fills in the blank spots of two secondary (or tertiary, even) characters to create something different.

However, using "small" characters and expand on them in their off screen time (RaGaD) is probably a lot easier than creating a whole new side plot and integrate it seamlessly into a narration (P&P&Z). If I were a professor of literature it'd be something I'd task students with in creative writing courses.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Savonarola on March 22, 2009, 06:57:08 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2009, 03:40:11 PM
Actually I think there's a book coming out where Austen is Vampire with writer's block.

When I was young and foolish I occasionally watched the "Highlander" TV show.  There was one very bad episode where George Gordon, Lord Byron was an immortal who had gotten into alternative rock and was now drugging people and killing them.  There was a lot of flashbacks and in the end Duncan beheads him.  This led to a competition between my brother and I to see who could come up with the worst possible idea for a Highlander show.

My idea:  There's an immortal bull who has contracted mad cow disease.  This bull had been a friend of Duncan's and had guarded his herd on the trail when Duncan had been a cowboy; so Duncan is faced with a moral dilemma of whether or not to kill his old friend.  In the end he decides he must and faces the bull in a bullfight; killing and beheading the bull in the ring.

My brother's:  Hitler and Stalin are both immortal; have put aside their differences and are now running a bagel stand in Buenos Aires.  The Mossad kidnaps Hitler and Duncan and Stalin try to get him back, but Hitler and Stalin both end up getting beheaded and we learn that we should all get along.

I never thought I'd see a worse idea than those, but Jane Austen as an immortal with writer's block sounds like it might be a start.  She could be trapped by an evil immortal; Duncan saves her from the other immortal and they share an all too brief, but happy tryst.  They must part at the end of the episode as an issue from Duncan's past forces him to move on, but Jane's writer's block is cured.

Add Anne Frank, zombies and furries in there and you've got a winner

FunkMonk

Also

The Forsyte Saga: Matrix Reloaded
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2009, 02:00:42 AM

I think the idea works best when you take one genre (in this case a romantic 19th century novel) and contrast it with something pretty much the polar opposite (gory zombie fiction).

Actually they aren't that different.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 24, 2009, 12:37:47 AM

:lol:

I don't think 90's televeison was ready for furries though...
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2009, 08:43:14 AM

Actually they aren't that different.
[/quote]

Good point Jane Austen has all the qualities of the start to a good slasher movie: large manors in the deserted countryside, young people in love going off to the countryside for picnics.  All you need is a homicidal maniac to slice up Emma and Mr. Knightly when they're on a walk, or Mansfield Park having the doorway to hell in the basement.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Savonarola on March 24, 2009, 02:02:42 PM

They are ready now,
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 24, 2009, 02:11:32 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 24, 2009, 02:02:42 PM

They are ready now,

If only RockyHorror was here then you would learn how wrong you are.

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on March 24, 2009, 02:10:59 PM

Good point Jane Austen has all the qualities of the start to a good slasher movie: large manors in the deserted countryside, young people in love going off to the countryside for picnics.  All you need is a homicidal maniac to slice up Emma and Mr. Knightly when they're on a walk, or Mansfield Park having the doorway to hell in the basement.

I believe Jane Austin wrote a pseudo-Gothic novel herself.  Though the modern concept of the zombie hadn't occured to most people yet, it likely would have been popular.  The fears that a zombie movie alludes to,( mobs, disease, the lower classes) were very familiar with the people of her time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2009, 04:43:33 PM

I believe Jane Austin wrote a pseudo-Gothic novel herself.  Though the modern concept of the zombie hadn't occured to most people yet, it likely would have been popular.  The fears that a zombie movie alludes to,( mobs, disease, the lower classes) were very familiar with the people of her time.

She parodies the Gothic novel in Northanger Abbey.  Much women's literature in the 18th century was gothic and the gothic had an impact on later nineteenth century literature, most notably the Bronte sisters.

jimmy olsen

Entertainment Weekly gives it an A-

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20267705,00.html

I've managed to find about a page and a half of text through my scouring of the net, and I've liked what I've seen. Not brilliant, but quite amusing.

I especially liked the opening paragraph.

:lol: :bowler:
QuoteIT IS A TRUTH universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains. Never was this truth more plain than during the recent attacks at Netherfield Park, in which a household of eighteen was slaughtered and consumed by a horde of the living dead.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point