Movie: Hardkor 44 - Warsaw uprising meets "300"

Started by Syt, August 05, 2009, 07:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Stolen from P'dox OT:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/071009-hardkor-44-a-ww-ii.html

Quote'Hardkor 44': a WW II movie in 'Sin City' and '300' style
By Ludwik Krakowiak , IDG News Service , 07/10/2009

2003 Oscar nominee Tomasz Baginski is working on his next big project. This time he along with his colleagues from Platige Image animation studio wants to take us back to the summer of 1944 and throw us in the middle of the Warsaw Uprising.

The movie is entitled "Hardkor 44" and its events take place in Warsaw in 1944. The Polish capital city is still being occupied by the Nazis but as the Soviet army approaches from the east, the uprising begins.

After that point, the storyline stops following real history. Insurgents are lead by a young man named Arnold. Their goal is to stand up to the evil SS commander and in the meantime to intercept the loot he has gathered through robbery and war crimes. What they do not know is Oberführer Wagner has a squad of ... cyborgs at his command.

Furthermore, the movie is set to feature live actors but the surrounding world will be digitally generated in a way similar to Frank Miller classic comics' movie adaptations: "Sin City" or "300". In such a world, the city of Warsaw swarms with war machines and robots and it becomes an even more ominous and infernal place than it really was 65 years ago.

A new approach

"It's a new approach to history-telling. I didn't want to show the uprising in a way we are used to: hopeless cause, miserable deaths in the street watercourses", says Tomasz Baginski, cited by the TVN Warszawa website.

There's a distinct line between good and evil - Polish male and female soldiers are good, pretty and courageous. They are also heavily armed which is obviously contrary to the historical facts. Scar-faced German troops with their malice and blood-hunger are simply opposites. Such a movie, in which everything is black or white with none in the middle, should be understandable to everyone in the world and attract especially young viewers who have grown up on games, comics and science-fiction movies and literature.

"Hardkor 44"'s future depends on financial support which its authors hope to receive from the Polish Film Institute (PISF). Those funds would be spent on the screenplay draft. Then, with the script ready, a search for a sponsor and capable studio can be started. The movie cannot be made in Poland due to lack of technologies necessary to conduct the production. Besides, no Polish movie company or studio is experienced in such venture. That is why people behind the project want to go to Hollywood.

If everything goes well, we should see "Hardkor 44" in theaters in 2012.

Tomasz Baginski is well known for his achievements in the areas of computer graphics and animation. His works include "Katedra" ("The Cathedral") which was nominated for an Oscar in the category of short animated film in 2003 and animated intro to 2007's "The Witcher" PC game.

Visit Platige Studio web site http://www.platige.com for more information.

The IDG News Service is a Network World affiliate.

All contents copyright 1995-2009 Network World, Inc. http://www.networkworld.com

Concept art slideshow
Official site

Some concept art, from official website:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

The cyborg with the flamethrower needs more random bits of stuff sticking out of his back.  Everyone knows that a cyborg's fighting efficiency is determined by the amount of random stuff he has sticking out of his back.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Scipio on August 05, 2009, 07:25:23 AM
Now that is a bunch of retarded nonsense.

Are you saying this is not a historically accurate rendition? :(

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on August 05, 2009, 07:34:33 AMAre you saying this is not a historically accurate rendition? :(
Beeb's gonna go ballistic. :ph34r:

Eddie Teach

Not gonna win any Oscars, but could be a lot of fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on August 05, 2009, 07:34:33 AM
Quote from: Scipio on August 05, 2009, 07:25:23 AM
Now that is a bunch of retarded nonsense.

Are you saying this is not a historically accurate rendition? :(

Let's hope it will have a powerful narrative. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Given the copious amount of work on the subject by various scholars in such places as the Paradox Forums, I am sure that this will be a completely accurate and faithful rendition to the events.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM