News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russian attack subs off the East Coast

Started by Weatherman, August 04, 2009, 09:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteWASHINGTON — A pair of nuclear-powered Russian attack submarines has been patrolling off the eastern seaboard of the United States in recent days, a rare mission that has raised concerns inside the Pentagon and intelligence agencies abouta more assertive stance by the Russian military.   

The episode has echoes of the cold war era, when the United States and the Soviet Union regularly parked submarines off each other's coasts to steal military secrets, track the movements of their underwater fleets — and be poised for war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/world/05patrol.html?_r=2

BuddhaRhubarb

maybe it'll start getting cooler again "Cold War 2 The meltdown" :unsure: :tinfoil:
:p

FunkMonk

We will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll... while we conduct missile drills.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 04, 2009, 09:26:46 PM
We will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll... while we conduct missile drills.

Didn't that have Chevy Chase and John Candy in it. Cameo from John Vernon as "the Ghost of Lenin"
:p

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 04, 2009, 09:28:02 PM

Didn't that have Chevy Chase and John Candy in it. Cameo from John Vernon as "the Ghost of Lenin"
Are you insane?
PDH!

jimmy olsen

I read this title the first time as Russian's attack subs off the East Coast.

I was all :o !
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 04, 2009, 09:28:02 PM

:lol:

MadImmortalMan

Then we will sail to Havana. Where the sun is warm. And so is the...comradeship.

:commie:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

I shall never see... Montana.... *gasp*  :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

:lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2009, 05:24:34 AM
I shall never see... Montana.... *gasp*  :cry:

Don't worry, I'm sure your round American girl can still raise rabbits for you.

Jos Theelen

Are you sure, they weren't just guiding Putin?

KRonn

No surprise that the subs were detected. And I figure the Russians must know they'd be detected, so they must be doing this as part of their plan to show the flag, reinvigorate their military, or at least the impression of their power.

FunkMonk

This thread forced me to watch Hunt for Red October again. Damn that movie is good.