And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2013, 12:27:38 PM
:huh:

As long as we live in an open society it'll probably always be easy for a disturbed and determined individual to abduct people like this.

Probably true (well...maybe I bet this sort of thing happens in non-open societies as well).  But what does that have to do with whether or not some cops may have dropped the ball?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2013, 01:01:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2013, 12:59:59 PM
If there's a complaint to be made about cops it's not because they're off busy writing tickets. :lol:

Really?  Most of the complaints I hear about Cops revolves around them writing tickets :P

Perhaps I should say "if there's a legitimate complaint to be made". :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2013, 12:55:13 PM

From what I read, allegedly snooping neighbours called the cops to report naked women wearing dog-collars crawling about in these guys' back yard, to no effect.

Mind you, I guess from your POV that's just a "date".  ;)

But that's just it, isn't it? There are enough people anymore who are into "playing" Dom/sub that the cops kind of have to be careful what they investigate. If it was just as reported - and the women didn't seem to be in distress at the time - what law was broken?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

From what I read, allegedly snooping neighbours called the cops to report naked women wearing dog-collars crawling about in these guys' back yard, to no effect.

Well if the Cops went to every house that reported naked women wearing dog collars crawling around....

Wait I forgot where I was going with that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2013, 12:44:32 PM
How exactly did they drop the ball?

You knock on the door, there's no answer, you hear nothing emanating from the house or observe anything that would fall under the parameters of justifying acting under Plain View, Good Faith or Fresh Pursuit doctrines, there's not much you can do.   You can thank the pussy prosecutors for that.

Now, the cops in Milwaukee that gave Jeffrey Dahmer his victim back, that's dropping the ball.

But from what I've read, there's nothing CPD did nor didn't do that would warrant such criticism.

crazy canuck

One of those moments that makes your heart stop.  While I was driving to pick up my 16 year old son, I heard the news report that one of the girls had been just shy of her 17th birthday when she was taken.

I thought about how terrible that must have been for the parents as I turned the corner to see that my son was not where he was supposed to be.  I didnt have my cell phone so I couldnt contact him.  I waited for a few minutes thinking he was just late.  A few minutes turned into 15. I started to get worried.  I searched the area.  Nothing.

Drove home to see if there were any messages from him.  NOTHING.  I drive back to wear he is supposed to be just in case - this time with my cell. I am now in full panic mode.

Just as I get to the location I get a call.  His practice had ended early and he had walked home.  He had called to let us know but I missed the call.

When I got home I just gave him a big hug and told him I was happy he was safe.

Valmy

Hrm...maybe they could have gone to the witnesses and seen if the women matched reports of missing persons?  Granted not doing so is not exactly 'dropping the ball'.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2013, 01:17:01 PM
Hrm...maybe they could have gone to the witnesses and seen if the women matched reports of missing persons?  Granted not doing so is not exactly 'dropping the ball'.

Depends on the 911 call.  Nobody uses hard lines anymore so the call can't be traced back to the address if it was cellular, and if the caller wishes to remain anonymous as they so often do--I don't want to get involved, no thank you--then hey.

You must think the police actually gets assistance from the public on a regular basis or something.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2013, 01:08:37 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2013, 12:44:32 PM
How exactly did they drop the ball?

You knock on the door, there's no answer, you hear nothing emanating from the house or observe anything that would fall under the parameters of justifying acting under Plain View, Good Faith or Fresh Pursuit doctrines, there's not much you can do.   You can thank the pussy prosecutors for that.

Now, the cops in Milwaukee that gave Jeffrey Dahmer his victim back, that's dropping the ball.

But from what I've read, there's nothing CPD did nor didn't do that would warrant such criticism.

The "naked women in the back with dog collars", yeah.  Not much you can do.

There was another call of "woman yelling and screaming to get out of the house" where again police attended, no answer, and left.  There they may have had the authority to enter as part of their "preservation of life" duty.  If it is a 911 hangup police have the authority to force entry in this country.

But... you and I both know that 999 times out of 1000 it was a domestic, the parties have already reconciled, and will file a complaint if you kick in the door. So easier just to move on to the next call.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on May 08, 2013, 01:06:25 PM

But that's just it, isn't it? There are enough people anymore who are into "playing" Dom/sub that the cops kind of have to be careful what they investigate. If it was just as reported - and the women didn't seem to be in distress at the time - what law was broken?

Fair enough, but allegedly the cops didn't even send anyone to look. Plus, some of these girls were rather young for legal sex games.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Your description is going to be "while female in her 20s, medium height, brown hair".  I bet that matches a hell of a lot of missing person reports.

Plus what Seedy said - this wasn't a nice residential neighborhood with everyone real eager to help police.

merithyn

Were it me, I wouldn't even think "missing person" if I saw that. Maybe I'm just too worldly, but I would think sex play first, watch to make sure the women were safe, and then go about my business.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2013, 01:23:30 PM

Fair enough, but allegedly the cops didn't even send anyone to look. Plus, some of these girls were rather young for legal sex games.

That happened in 2009. They were all adults then.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2013, 01:23:30 PM
Plus, some of these girls were rather young for legal sex games.

According to who? On what information is this based for responding officers to act upon? An anonymous 911 hang up?

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 08, 2013, 01:24:54 PM

Were it me, I wouldn't even think "missing person" if I saw that. Maybe I'm just too worldly, but I would think sex play first, watch to make sure the women were safe, and then go about my business.

I was just thinking about a way they could get a warrant to investigate if they wanted to in the context of Seedy's post.