News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rossetta Stone?

Started by Siege, August 02, 2009, 01:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 02, 2009, 03:56:04 AM
Teh State Department uses it, supposed to be pretty good.
And they've never screwed up anything!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on August 02, 2009, 03:49:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 02, 2009, 03:48:13 AM
My sis bought the Japanese beginner CD of theirs several years ago. It looked to be useful.
One of the earliest sentences however was "the boy is under the table" Fucking perverted japs.

Can she speak Japanese?

no she got bored with it pretty fast.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 02, 2009, 04:18:10 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 02, 2009, 03:49:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 02, 2009, 03:48:13 AM
My sis bought the Japanese beginner CD of theirs several years ago. It looked to be useful.
One of the earliest sentences however was "the boy is under the table" Fucking perverted japs.

Can she speak Japanese?

no she got bored with it pretty fast.

That doesn't bode well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Lettow77

A friend of mine is teaching himself swedish through it. Very effective, allegedly.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

But all Swedes speak English!

Josquius

No.
It just teaches you random bits of vocabulary. You can do better on your own. I'm friends with a few people really into languages and Rosetta Stone is quite a running joke in their circles.

QuoteMy sis bought the Japanese beginner CD of theirs several years ago. It looked to be useful.
Standard language learning fair despite the sillyness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUd1BhokZq4&feature=related (from 1 min)
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

That's my favorite comedy routine.  I saw that the night before I went to Europe.  I did indeed see the guys on mopeds saying chao.

Camerus

I've studied a bunch of languages on my own, but I don't tend to place much value in the CD's.  I've never seen one that is as comprehensive and straight-forward as a good introductory or intermediate textbook.  That being said, I've never tried RS.

And in any event, learning a language (especially in the initial phases) requires a lot of memory work and self discipline no matter how you approach it, so might as well save your cash and drop $30 for a textbook instead.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 02, 2009, 03:41:00 AM
Quote from: Siege on August 02, 2009, 01:16:33 AM
Should I  buy rossetta stone?
500 bucks per language.

Pay $500 for it?  No.

http://usarmy.rosettastone.com/

QuoteAll Active Army, Army National Guard, Army Reserve, DA Civilians, USMA or ROTC contracted cadets can go to www.us.army.mil and click on Self Service, My Education to access Army e-Learning where you'll have access to Rosetta Stone® courses in thirty languages.

This.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Even "da civilians" get it free? Cool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 02, 2009, 11:14:47 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 02, 2009, 03:41:00 AM
Quote from: Siege on August 02, 2009, 01:16:33 AM
Should I  buy rossetta stone?
500 bucks per language.

Pay $500 for it?  No.

http://usarmy.rosettastone.com/

QuoteAll Active Army, Army National Guard, Army Reserve, DA Civilians, USMA or ROTC contracted cadets can go to www.us.army.mil and click on Self Service, My Education to access Army e-Learning where you'll have access to Rosetta Stone® courses in thirty languages.

This.

Yeah, what a great idea.  :)

"I have been using Rosetta's Pashto product (online Army version) here in Afghanistan ... your product has helped me immensely with everyday law and order operations as well as crowd control, not to mention public relations.  Thank you for such a wonderful product..."
- SGT M., 272nd Military Police,
Kandahar, Afghanistan
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

I had the French edition; I thought it was a pretty good review of a language, but I don't know how good it would be starting cold.

Unfortunately the discs got jacked along with my laptop.  Somewhere in Detroit there's a homeless man who speaks fluent French.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

I've been doing the French edition. It can help someone get a decent grasp of the language and help in conversation. I think it would work better with a supplemental book that goes into greater detail.

Something like this is perfect for a soldier deploying overseas. You don't need to learn every little detail of the language, just enough to get by in a conversation and understand what they're saying. Even a little bit can go far over there.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

When are we scheduled to occupy France?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.