Which New Wave Band Was the New Waviest?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 31, 2009, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why do I have to repeat the question here?

Blondie
6 (20%)
B-52s
3 (10%)
Devo
9 (30%)
The Cars
1 (3.3%)
The Police
4 (13.3%)
Declan McManus
1 (3.3%)
Joe Jackson
0 (0%)
The Go-Gos
0 (0%)
Write In
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 28

PDH

Wait, did Cal and Yi work together with Mongers to make a poll this bad?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 01, 2009, 08:18:21 AM

All it needs is a bit of kenny incoherence to make it the perfect poll.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT ANGERING ME  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on August 01, 2009, 09:41:49 AM
WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT ANGERING ME  :mad:
I don't remember, and anyway your mouth was full of BaG when you were talking so it all sounded like mush...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2009, 06:42:28 AM
Joy Division?  Cabaret Voltaire?  Gang of Four?  The Specials?
Didn't Joy Division/New Order invent the damn thing?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PDH

Quote from: Queequeg on August 01, 2009, 11:10:21 AM
No, and they weren't from Persia.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: PDH on August 01, 2009, 01:34:42 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 01, 2009, 11:10:21 AM
No, and they weren't from Persia.

System Of A Down are Armenian, though. But they are not wave.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Josquius

Duran Duran, Spandeu Ballet and all that sort of thing defines New Wave. There's one far worse band I can just picture in my head but their name is escaping me right now...The video for their most famous song has them on speed boats looking all horribly eighties....

QuoteDidn't Joy Division/New Order invent the damn thing?
Maybe they laid some of the foundations in bringing synthesizers to more mainstream notice.
Joy Division certainly wasn't New Wave, it was one of the founation bands of goth, it was post-punk through and through, the opposite of New Wave.
New Order....iffy. But they lacked all the horrible tackyness of New Wave even if they did have the sound.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 01, 2009, 02:44:47 PM
Devo has the most street cred.
Being one of the ones who founded the movement before 1976 does help the cred...
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

sbr

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 01, 2009, 02:44:47 PM
Devo has the most street cred.

Was Devo really "New Wave" though, I always put them more in the punk category.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on August 01, 2009, 03:09:46 PM
Duran Duran, Spandeu Ballet and all that sort of thing defines New Wave.

Bullshit.  New Wave was pretty much over with by the time those groups came along.

I have no idea if Yi's asking which act was the best, or who best exlemplified New Wave, or simply who our personal favorites were, but if it's the second, I'd vote Devo.

Jaron

All this classical Flintstone music sucks.
Winner of THE grumbler point.