Started by Savonarola, July 31, 2009, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 02:00:41 PM
I wonder how many people see the correlation between Gates' behavior and this story?

Do you take mustard with your diced dead horse?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 02:28:38 PM
What exactly is Teach for America... some hippy shit?

..and before somebody says "read the article", know that when a posted article is that monstrously long, it makes my eyes glaze over.  Might as well be written in Linear B.

It is an idealistic program that places just graduated undergrads in teaching positions.  Typically these are severely understaffed schools in inner city neighborhoods. The only training said applicants receive is some courses in the summer after they graduate from college. I think that the usual amount of time a person stays with the program is one year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 31, 2009, 02:33:49 PM
I wonder how many people see the correlation between Gates' behavior and this story?

Do you take mustard with your diced dead horse?

lol, I like some nice Webers, actually.

You would be one of the lawyers suing the guy for $20 large, and thinking he was actually doing the public a great service in the process.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 02:35:44 PM
You would be one of the lawyers suing the guy for $20 large, and thinking he was actually doing the public a great service in the process.

Eh don't do contingency cases.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 31, 2009, 02:44:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 02:35:44 PM

Eh don't do contingency cases.
WORKS ON CONTINGENCY?
NO, MONEY DOWN!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

DGuller

Quote from: Armyknife on July 31, 2009, 03:05:39 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2009, 02:29:46 PM
Executive summary?

Strengthening evidence that Languishites have short attention spans.
That's it, that's what those two huge posts were about?

Barrister

:huh:

Not I...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Faeelin

You mean he was one of the quiet kids who wanted to study hard and still faced systematic racism as he grew up?

DGuller

Jesus, no one can create a simple executive summary these days.  What a sad indictment of our educational system.  :(

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2009, 03:22:23 PM
Jesus, no one can create a simple executive summary these days.  What a sad indictment of our educational system.  :(
In the time you've been asking for an executive summary you could have read the article yourself.  ;)

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2009, 03:22:23 PM

My summary of teach for america basically summarizes the article.

Add in article specific things about this one guy who had a hard time, faced racism and eventually got sued for pushing a student (ending his first year of public teaching).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Anyways, I found it a very interesting read.  Thanks Sav.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.