‘Clunkers’ Auto Rebate Plan So Popular That It’s Already Broke

Started by jimmy olsen, July 30, 2009, 09:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on July 31, 2009, 11:13:28 AM
We have pay scales.  Everybody with the same seniority and rank are paid the exact same amount.  The problem is that the entire pay scale is shifting toward the wrong direction :weep:

Quit. Get a real job.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: Siege on August 03, 2009, 01:51:34 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 31, 2009, 11:13:28 AM
We have pay scales.  Everybody with the same seniority and rank are paid the exact same amount.  The problem is that the entire pay scale is shifting toward the wrong direction :weep:

Quit. Get a real job.

WHether it's a good job or not is up for debate, but the HK Public Service is certainly a real job.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Mono certainly takes all the fun and excitement out of a bureaucratic job.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 03, 2009, 02:23:11 PM

His workplace doesn't have the hijinks of the actuarial world, does it?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on August 03, 2009, 02:23:11 PM

There are some bureaucratic jobs that are fun and exciting.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Those gas guzzlers aren't all old cars, and many of them, older ones but still quite serviceable, would be cheaply priced for a teenager's first car. Or a cheap older car for someone who can't afford a more expensive one. So it could be a problem to take so many older cars off the road by destroying them in the clunker program, especially since I think used car prices have gone up pretty heavily due to high demand. This should make things worse.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on August 03, 2009, 02:37:54 PM
...since I think used car prices have gone up pretty heavily due to high demand. This should make things worse.
Indeed.  I just bought my first new car in my life.  I was looking at three-year-old used cars, but the new car was only about 25% more and featured a six-year bumper to bumper warranty.  How could I pass that up?  The new cars isn't quite as nice, but gets better milage, has more safeety features, and has satellite radio.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

When I was thinking about buying a car, I did the math, and the new car didn't come out to be much higher than the used car.  In my case it was due to high fixed costs that would be the same regardless of what car I would get.  I figured that since I'm a new driver, I better get a new car with the newest safety features, particularly stability control and side curtains, both of which would be rare in used cars.  It's also a lot nicer than any used car could be.

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on August 03, 2009, 10:53:45 PM
Quote from: KRonn on August 03, 2009, 02:37:54 PM
...since I think used car prices have gone up pretty heavily due to high demand. This should make things worse.
Indeed.  I just bought my first new car in my life.  I was looking at three-year-old used cars, but the new car was only about 25% more and featured a six-year bumper to bumper warranty.  How could I pass that up?  The new cars isn't quite as nice, but gets better milage, has more safeety features, and has satellite radio.
Congrats on the new car, enjoy!   :)    Yeah, definitely looks like the better deal going with the new car.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 04, 2009, 07:59:52 AM
I'm thinking of getting an '85 Thunderbird, just because.
Get an IROC-Z.  Goes well with your Burgundy Members Only jacket. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:03:07 AM
Get an IROC-Z.  Goes well with your Burgundy Members Only jacket. :)

My jacket is tan. TAN! And fuck camaros.

Still fits after all these years too. I got more tail with that Thunderbird and jacket than you can imagine.

Good times.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

I had a '68 Pontiac GTO convertible. Friends had Camaros, SS Chevelles, Mustangs and all manner of similar type hot cars.

Ahhh, those were the days.    :cool:

crazy canuck

Excellent.  I think they started making them smaller by then.  I would suggest going with the 82 model.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2009, 10:37:41 AM

Excellent.  I think they started making them smaller by then.  I would suggest going with the 82 model.
Yep, a big box with a 115 HP V8 engine, a crown jewel of American automotive engineering.  Be careful, you might get a whiplash if you gas it too much.