South Africa is Acting Like a Rogue State

Started by jimmy olsen, August 13, 2009, 10:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 13, 2009, 12:26:45 PM
I wonder if 'upgraded assault rifles' translates to the CR-21 south africa hasnt been able to unload on anyone, and wont use themselves?

It looks dinky.
I would rather imagine so.  There isn't much that the government of South Africa wouldn't do in order to keep Denel happy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Denel is going nowhere. Or, in a more literal sense its employees are, as they flee the country.

That company is washed up but doesnt know it yet. It, along with anything of value in South Africa, has been (irrevocably?) crippled by casting South Africa to the dogs.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 13, 2009, 12:29:30 PM
Reminds me of the old Libya-Chad war, where Chad's fleet of Toyota Pickups overcame tall odds in facing off against the Libyan Land Cruisers.

I Love The 80s :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 13, 2009, 12:34:52 PM
Denel is going nowhere. Or, in a more literal sense its employees are, as they flee the country.

That company is washed up but doesnt know it yet. It, along with anything of value in South Africa, has been (irrevocably?) crippled by casting South Africa to the dogs.

By dogs I assume you mean lesser races.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Lettow77

Isnt it enough that they are uneducated, violent radical leftists?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Sheilbh

I can't stand Jamie Kirchick.  He reminds me of HIGH DRAMA Marty too much for me to take almost any of his articles seriously.
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 13, 2009, 11:56:44 AM
Quotethe country's National Conventional Arms Control Committee had authorized the sale of high-tech weaponry

Since when are "grenade launchers" and "assault rifles" considered high-tech weaponry?

Well, compared to machetes...
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 13, 2009, 11:56:44 AM
Quotethe country's National Conventional Arms Control Committee had authorized the sale of high-tech weaponry

Since when are "grenade launchers" and "assault rifles" considered high-tech weaponry?

I think this is what they were referring to.

Quote"bombs that could be used to deliver nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons" (Libya),..The panel is also considering the sale of military equipment to Iran and Zimbabwe, and it has authorized a South African defense contractor to deliver a demonstration of a radar-warning system to officials in North Korea.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 13, 2009, 09:48:56 PM
HIGH DRAMA Marty
:lmfao:
I want to start a petition to change Marty's name officially to HIGH DRAMA MARTY.  Possibly with an exclamation point at the end. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2009, 10:28:20 PM
I think this is what they were referring to.

Quote"bombs that could be used to deliver nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons" (Libya),..The panel is also considering the sale of military equipment to Iran and Zimbabwe, and it has authorized a South African defense contractor to deliver a demonstration of a radar-warning system to officials in North Korea.

"Bombs that could be used to deliver nuclear, chemical and biological weapons" is a WW1 era technology or even earlier.  A basic A-bomb (my understanding) is just a metal tube with enough regular explosive to compress fissile material into a critical mass.  I.e. it's really just a decent-sized bomb; the tricky part is getting enough fissile material together to be able to start the nuclear chain reaction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on August 13, 2009, 10:28:36 PM
:lmfao:
I want to start a petition to change Marty's name officially to HIGH DRAMA MARTY.  Possibly with an exclamation point at the end. 

It would be more amusing than when he was Martinass.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

saskganesh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 13, 2009, 12:29:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2009, 12:11:17 PM
In Africa that's still pretty high tech.

Reminds me of the old Libya-Chad war, where Chad's fleet of Toyota Pickups overcame tall odds in facing off against the Libyan Land Cruisers.

Toyota Wars. I had that wargame. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8322
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 14, 2009, 12:37:44 PM
"Bombs that could be used to deliver nuclear, chemical and biological weapons" is a WW1 era technology or even earlier.  A basic A-bomb (my understanding) is just a metal tube with enough regular explosive to compress fissile material into a critical mass.  I.e. it's really just a decent-sized bomb; the tricky part is getting enough fissile material together to be able to start the nuclear chain reaction.
It's a little more difficult than that, as the subcritical pieces need to be brought together with great speed and precision, or else you'll get an explosion that blows apart the bomb, but not much else.  There were significant technical challenges to building even primitive atomic weapons, although a modern, industrialized economy could do so without much difficulty.

Really, it's three different technologies that we're talking about here.  Chemical weapons delivery methods predate the Great War.  Atomics are late WWII.  Biological weapons are trickier, unless we're talking about handing out smallpox blankets or dropping cardboard boxes of plague-infected fleas on an enemy city.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.