Football season is upon us! Fun officiating plays!

Started by Berkut, July 30, 2009, 09:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on July 30, 2009, 10:19:24 AM
The NCAA 2009-10 equivalent appears to be:

QuoteARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds during a
down shall touch a legal forward pass in the field of play or end zones or while
airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I-III).
[Exception: This does not apply to an eligible offensive player who attempts
to return inbounds immediately after going out of bounds due to contact by an
opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-IV)].
http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rules_5_2204c0005d-845f-4813-8391-54f15136079d.pdf

The NCAA has a MUCH better rule than the NFHS here, IMO.

Alternatively, they need to define "out of bounds" the way it is in basketball - once you go out of bounds, you remain out of bounds until you establish yourself in bounds.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2009, 10:22:27 AM
Quote from: ulmont on July 30, 2009, 10:14:46 AM
Where is that rule cite coming from?

NFL 2006 Official Rulebook, which is the only one I can easily find online (the NFL site just has the digest up).  http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/media/2006%20NFL%20RULEBOOK.pdf

Ahh, ok, we are going with high school (NFHS) rules.

Which, rather fucking annoyingly, are not online since the NFHS apaprently wants you to pay them for them. Freaking stupid.
Of course they do.

I don't know anything about US high school rules.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2009, 09:37:09 AM
Went to my first meeting for the upcoming football season.

Had a interesteing case play presented for discussion:

QuoteThe score A-6, B-7 with 1 minute to play in the game. A's ball 4th and goal at the 10. A1 throws a legal forward pass which is intercepted by B1 in the end zone. B1 immediately after making the catch in celebrating his teams stop of A throws the ball which lands at the 20 yard line. B1 was never down.

Anyone interested in taking a stab at the ruling? It isn't that hard, just an interesting situation.

I haven't read any other responses before posting this.

Should be an illegal forward pass, which would be post possession, meaning the ball would stay with B; the penalty being committed in B's end zone should make it a safety though.  2 points for A and B kicks the ball back to A?

EDIT- WOOHOO!!