And we're back!

Main Menu

We'uns?

Started by Jaron, July 29, 2009, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on July 30, 2009, 05:24:11 PM
The We is not as in 'wee' but we as in nous
:lmfao:  That meme will never die, will it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: Jaron on July 30, 2009, 03:26:37 PM
Is we'uns like the hillbilly version of "we" (like y'all) ?

That is how I took it, the plural of y'all.

dps

Yeah, it's basically the same thing as "y'all" except in the first person instead of the second person.  I think it used to be fairly common among elderly people with southern roots, especially elderly blacks from the rural south, but I don't think I've ever actually heard anybody use it who was born after WWI unless it was a deliberate attempt to be humorous or evoke a stereotype.

lustindarkness

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 30, 2009, 03:28:41 PM
I think so, seems I have heard this down in LA. I will ask a southern linguist expert (redneck) friend of mine tonight.
Got a response from my linguist expert, I asked him if it was the southern version of "we".
QuoteRe: Hey Bax, I need your expertise.

yes my friend.  sorry you had to hear that.

for example, "we'uns family all the back to the civil war.  my great great great grandfather cecil fought in the 5th calvary.  he was big redneck like me."

:-)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 30, 2009, 05:15:40 AM
I've never heard a Kentuckian say that... or anyone for that matter.  Maybe Ide/FB is just stupid? :)

Kentucky fails at even being rednecks.

Kentucky is a state in a constant state of fail.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 31, 2009, 10:17:44 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 30, 2009, 03:28:41 PM
I think so, seems I have heard this down in LA. I will ask a southern linguist expert (redneck) friend of mine tonight.
Got a response from my linguist expert, I asked him if it was the southern version of "we".
QuoteRe: Hey Bax, I need your expertise.

yes my friend.  sorry you had to hear that.

for example, "we'uns family all the back to the civil war.  my great great great grandfather cecil fought in the 5th calvary.  he was big redneck like me."

:-)

Thank you, HERMANITO.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Lettow77

As far as Kentucky being Southern- western Kentucky and central Kentucky are Southern. Eastern Kentucky is Appalachian, which is not Southern. Northern Kentucky has long since been lost to northern interests.

Kentucky has always been a divided state, and never a particularly admirable one. Kentucky has never had anything to match the stately wonder of Charleston or the bustle and vibrance of Memphis- it is the tertiary South, and the fringe of civilisation.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

grumbler

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 31, 2009, 07:11:50 PM
...Kentucky has always been ... the fringe of civilisation.
[sic]
:yes:  The southern fringe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

We, the Huns.
We are Huns.
Wii, The Huns.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.