News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Polyamory: The Next Sexual Revolution

Started by jimmy olsen, July 29, 2009, 01:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I have a real hard time imagining this sort of thing will be any more of a sexual revolution than swinging or any other sort of 'having sex with lotsa people' sort of revolution.  I think that one has been around a long time.

For myself one partner is plenty.  I don't have enough emotional libido to love dozens of people equally that, paradoxically, feels sort of impersonal and lonely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on July 29, 2009, 01:21:43 PM
Serial monogamy is is not polyarmory...
Maybe.  They called themselves "polyamorous" but they might have been misusing the term.

As I recall this originally started as a group just interested in the polyamory stuff roughly in the Worcester area, and evolved into new and higher levels of insanity after one of the inherited a large woodlot in Maine.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on July 29, 2009, 01:20:45 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 01:19:00 PM
All of them?

Really?
I would not count in that any "family" deciding to live such a way, but for such a society to be real and functioning it would need to be large-ish - and this seems to be the utopian stumbling block.

But that is true for any "utopian" alternative lifestyle. I don't think it is reasonable to assume that the problem is polyamory, as much as it is that these kind of "utopian" societies that attempt to segregate themselves never seem to work out for a variety of what are usually rather obvious reasons.

I would be interested in seeing what the long term viability of polyamorous relationship *within* conventional society is.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2009, 01:22:37 PM
I have a real hard time imagining this sort of thing will be any more of a sexual revolution than swinging or any other sort of 'having sex with lotsa people' sort of revolution.  I think that one has been around a long time.

For myself one partner is plenty.  I don't have enough emotional libido to love dozens of people equally that, paradoxically, feels sort of impersonal and lonely.

You're obviously reacting that way because it threatens your worldview, according to the chick at the Center for Sex Positive Culture  :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I feel like I missed out on an opportunity there tho.... :ph34r:

We became very good friends with another married couple who used to hang out with these people, but (wisely) chose not to go nuts and withdraw to the Maine backwoods with them.  Still, I got the impression they were interested in swinging. :shifty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 01:25:06 PM
But that is true for any "utopian" alternative lifestyle. I don't think it is reasonable to assume that the problem is polyamory, as much as it is that these kind of "utopian" societies that attempt to segregate themselves never seem to work out for a variety of what are usually rather obvious reasons.

I would be interested in seeing what the long term viability of polyamorous relationship *within* conventional society is.
I actually do think it is the stumbling block.  Because the basic relationship posited, along with the morality, kinship, and other structures of this "society" clearly are at odds with the general society.  To live within a larger society but to consistantly ignore major normalizing factors of that society is a counter that can lead to psychological, inter-group relationship, and other problems.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on July 29, 2009, 01:29:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 01:25:06 PM

I actually do think it is the stumbling block.  Because the basic relationship posited, along with the morality, kinship, and other structures of this "society" clearly are at odds with the general society.  To live within a larger society but to consistantly ignore major normalizing factors of that society is a counter that can lead to psychological, inter-group relationship, and other problems.

Well, that is the question, isn't it?

And even so, saying that it cannot work because of societal pressures is saying more about the society than it is about the relationship. What you are saying is that society will not tolerate it, hence the pressure will destroy it - which is very different from saying it simply cannot work do to human nature.

Personally, I think our society is a lot more flexible than you do, and in fact there are many places where it would be tolerated enough to allow it to sink or swim on its own merits.

0 rows returned

Malthus

People have enough trouble successfully figuring out how to have a sexual relationship with a single other person. It is no surprise that attempts to form a successful sexual relationship among several people tend not to succeed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2009, 01:36:02 PM
People have enough trouble successfully figuring out how to have a sexual relationship with a single other person. It is no surprise that attempts to form a successful sexual relationship among several people tend not to succeed.

True, but on the other hand, most of the problems people have with forming relationships with single people are not that hard to solve, if you just make some fundamental changes to your assumptions and learn how to communicate.

It is like saying there is no way anyone can ever do calculus, why, most people cannot manage algebra! But really, it isn't that hard, just takes a little more work, and a little more honesty/communication, etc., etc.

At least that is the theory.

I know people for whom marriage seems pretty easy - they communicate well, are honest, open, and willing to trust. I suspect that they could scale that to another person, or 2 more, or whatever, if those other people were good at these things as well.

It could be that the reality is that it is almost impossible to find more of these solidly stable people, and eventually you inevitably get someone who is not nearly as stable as they look. I would not be surprised to find that a polyamorous group could only ever be as stable as its least stable member, so maybe it isn't really all that practically possible.

0 rows returned

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 01:34:26 PM
Personally, I think our society is a lot more flexible than you do, and in fact there are many places where it would be tolerated enough to allow it to sink or swim on its own merits.
Oh, I was not speaking of societal pressures in the form of direct attacks and the like, but rather the attempt to breach societal norms and acculturated values/moralities/relationships that has posed problems to such sexual societies in the past.  The effect on the person an group is what I was speaking of, not necessarily that the larger society would damn and come at them with pitchforks.

If such a group could exist several generations, then those effects would be lessened.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 01:42:10 PM

True, but on the other hand, most of the problems people have with forming relationships with single people are not that hard to solve, if you just make some fundamental changes to your assumptions and learn how to communicate.

It is like saying there is no way anyone can ever do calculus, why, most people cannot manage algebra! But really, it isn't that hard, just takes a little more work, and a little more honesty/communication, etc., etc.

I know people for whom marriage seems pretty easy - they communicate well, are honest, open, and willing to trust. I suspect that they could scale that to another person, or 2 more, or whatever, if those other people were good at these things as well.

It could be that the reality is that it is almost impossible to find more of these solidly stable people, and eventually you inevitably get someone who is not nearly as stable as they look. I would not be surprised to find that a polyamorous group could only ever be as stable as its least stable member, so maybe it isn't really all that practically possible.
You're addressing this issue far too rationally.  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I saw a segment about this on O'Reilly's show a couple days ago. I think it's more the media trying to create some buzz than any important cultural shift.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2009, 01:42:10 PM

I agree with all of this - as my brother's experience proved, finding a house full of stable friends to lease together proves hard enough when they *aren't* fucking each other in the bargain!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius