News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jim Bunning will not seek re-election

Started by Caliga, July 28, 2009, 11:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 28, 2009, 06:51:28 PM
Conservative democratic and was a horrible pro quaterback.

The most infamous pick in Redskin history.

The dude is definitely a Democrat though.  I am so ENRAGED they let him back into DC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

One of the main reason so many are Republicans is because Oklahoma loves to elect ex-football players to high office.

In Texas we elect ex-cheerleaders.  I am not sure what that says about it but it isn't good.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 28, 2009, 06:37:56 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2009, 05:35:03 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2009, 04:33:39 PM
I am ENRAGED that nobody cares.  :mad:

I'd be more excited if there was some way of revoking his terrible Hall of Fame selection.
His stats are similar to several other post WW2 hall of famers.

For the most part, the guys who are similar to him aren't in the Hall.  He's borderline at best.

sbr

He threw a no-hitter, and a perfect game; one in each league.  Only six people have ever done that, and three of them did it after Bunning did it (Koufax, Randy Johnson and Buehrle).

When he retired only Walter Johnson had more strikeouts than Bunning.

Sounds good to me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2009, 04:33:39 PM
I am ENRAGED that nobody cares.  :mad:

Ed would have cared.  Goddamn Denmark!  :(

Not really. I would have taken the opportunity to make fun of you, but care? nah.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Listen mister, I tell you what you're supposed to think and do.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on July 30, 2009, 08:07:07 AM
Listen mister, I tell you what you're supposed to think and do.  :mad:

Stop pointing that sausage biscuit at me. You'll put an eye out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 28, 2009, 06:37:56 PM
His stats are similar to several other post WW2 hall of famers.

His top two similarity scores are Luis Tiant, Mickey Lolich, and Rick Reuschel.  Those are actually very close comps - that's the level of pitcher that Bunning was.  All those guys were very good but none of them are even borderline Hall of famers.  You could probably fill up a couple of Hall of fames with guys at that level -- guys like Billy Pierce (another very close comp), Tommy Bridges, Dave Stieb, Vida Blue, Bob Welch, and so on.  Kevin Brown was at the level - actually he was quite a bit better than Bunning - he had a better W-L record and a better ERA in a much tougher era for hitters. 

The only HOF pitchers in his top 10 similarity scores are Hunter and Drysdale.  Both were very borderline selections at best.  Catfish made it in because he was a big personality who played a big role on two successful, high profile teams.  I agree that Bunning was his equal as a pitcher.  But if Catfish is a legitimate standard for a HOF pitcher, we would have to admit about another 50 guys in.

Drysdale is not a particularly good comp - his career line has some similarities, but he achieved it in a considerably shorter time frame and in fewer starts.  He won a Cy Young, which Bunning never did, and had two top 5 MVP finishes, which Bunning never came close to.  FWIW I think Drysdale is at best a borderline HoFamer (i would not have selected him either) - he basically owed his selection to the fact his association with Koufax and being a high profile player on a high profile team in a big media market.

As for the perfect game stuff, well if want to open the doors to Don Larsen and Len Barker, I suppose that is relevant.  Hall of Fame is a lifetime acheivement award - one game doesn't get you in, no matter how impressive it was.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: sbr on July 28, 2009, 09:45:35 PM
When he retired only Walter Johnson had more strikeouts than Bunning.

Lolich has almost the exact same number of Ks . . . the likes of Frank Tanana and Chuck Finley are hot on their heels.

It was considerably easier to strike out lots of guys in the 60s then in the 30s when Lefty Grove was pitching.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point