And we're back!

Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Octavian on December 20, 2009, 05:18:04 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 20, 2009, 03:01:37 PM
Are there any good mods for this?  If the price of either this or GTA4 goes down for Christmas, I'm buying it.  My new comp can play it!

Darthmod seems to be the best imo.

I tried to install it but made my computer just crash. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Octavian

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2009, 06:25:43 PM
Quote from: Octavian on December 20, 2009, 05:18:04 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 20, 2009, 03:01:37 PM
Are there any good mods for this?  If the price of either this or GTA4 goes down for Christmas, I'm buying it.  My new comp can play it!

Darthmod seems to be the best imo.

I tried to install it but made my computer just crash. :(

Works fine for me!
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Lucidor

I got it on sale and must say it's better than expected. Playing vanilla, but am going to try Darth, once I get tired of the game as it is. Some Indian nation took down the Mughals and conquered their way to Persia and we are slugging it out over the Caucasus.

Elephants are not immune to ranged fire, especially not cannister shot. :D

I hate sieges, especially defending. Cannons left on auto fire can really decimate your men on the walls, and the constant running to try to counter the encircling forces is lame. The pathfinding of the men on the walls to use the cannons is also a bit slow.

Still 7-8 / 10

Lucidor

Oh, the reliance of line infantry and a few more skirmisher types and the ability to with one click reinforce several units and then you can leave them, as well as the generals' ability to recruit several units at a time that are auto marched to his location are perfects. More action.

Faeelin

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Octavian

Quote from: Faeelin on February 24, 2010, 04:33:21 PM
So, anybody cave?

If for Napoleon TW then no. I'm wainting it out this time. I'm currently busy with Barbarian Invasion and STO

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Tamas

I am hoping to be able to tell my highly-valued and prestigious opinion tonight.

I will buy it if I like it, for the drop-in MP feature.

Fate

I caved in and bought it. So far it looks like there are two ~25 turn mini campaigns (Egypt, Italy), a grand campaign where you can play as either the Coalition or France, and then a set of traditional one off historical battles like Waterloo, Borodino, and Austerlitz.

I like the mini campaigns the most. Unfortunately there are only two. But zoomed in maps of the Spanish, German, and Russian campaigns would be a lot of fun.

Fate

Generals seem to die much too easily.

For example Napoleon was put out of commission in my first battle against the Austrians. It's not like I was having his bodyguard charge straight into enemy infantry. He died standing behind a wall of Line Infantry. Generals give out a leadership aura so you want to keep them near your units, but enemy volleys seem to pass through infantry straight to your general.

I guess you're supposed to park them behind your artillery battery far from the front lines. But this makes their command aura relatively useless. :hmm:

The Brain

Quote from: Fate on February 25, 2010, 09:32:00 AM

For example Napoleon was put out of commission in my first battle against the Austrians. It's not like I was having his bodyguard charge straight into enemy infantry. He died standing behind a wall of Line Infantry. Generals give out a leadership aura so you want to keep them near your units, but enemy volleys seem to pass through infantry straight to your general.

I guess you're supposed to park them behind your artillery battery far from the front lines. But this makes their command aura relatively useless. :hmm:

Well you can lead from the front but Neil will call you stupid.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lucidor

Quote from: The Brain on February 25, 2010, 09:39:21 AM

Total war generals generally lead from a wall of spears.

Ed Anger

it'll take a couple of weeks to give my profanity-laced review as I went the mail order route.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Fate

Quote from: Lucidor on February 25, 2010, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 25, 2010, 09:39:21 AM

Total war generals generally lead from a wall of spears.

Yeah, in past games this was the case. It's really too dangerous in Napoleon Total War unless you're wiling to roll a 50/50 dice every battle.

When Napoleon dies to something that stupid I generally ctrl alt delete and fight the battle over again.  :shutup:

Martim Silva

Actually, that's fairly realistic. Generals of the era did die a lot in battles, since they stood out and normally one can expect a lot of guns firing in their direction.

The problem with TW games is their small scale - just a few thousands of men per side, which means that your leader will basically have to take the same risks than a brigade leader. And those ranks died quite often in battle.

I suggest you do keep very important leaders like Nappy safe behind the artillery.