Pope: No Abortion for rape/incest victims or when health of mother is at risk

Started by Syt, March 21, 2009, 05:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/21/2522536.htm?section=justin
Quote[...]Pope Benedict criticised the African Union's charter that guarantees women the right to an abortion in case of rape, incest, or major health risk to the mother saying the issue was not a health concern.[...]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iLJ2gzRRfTYc_YuS7r1yuwnmne-gD971UDFG0
Quote[...]He also criticized what he called the "irony of those who promote abortion as a form of 'maternal' health care." [...]

::)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Guys tell me this. I know JP2 was a conservative too, and was often criticized for it, and perhaps I am viewing this through the all "Polish Pope" cult of personality here, but I think Benedict XVI seems much worse than John Paul II? Or am I off here?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2009, 08:31:00 AM
Guys tell me this. I know JP2 was a conservative too, and was often criticized for it, and perhaps I am viewing this through the all "Polish Pope" cult of personality here, but I think Benedict XVI seems much worse than John Paul II? Or am I off here?

It probably helped JP II that he had communism to talk about, not long after which he was stuck in a wheelchair.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

There's a Planned Parenthood right outside the university I go to that's surrounded by Pro-Life protesters almost 24/7 now. I've never seen this before, so I thought it was very interesting.

It doesn't help that PP decided to put their huge building within easy walking distance from a couple churches and a big cathedral.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

They are the same. Hell, Ben is even a Nazi.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I am getting all confused by these news stories...I thought the Pope was fighting Texas teen boys in a cagematch?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

Quote from: PDH on March 21, 2009, 11:06:51 AM
I am getting all confused by these news stories...I thought the Pope was fighting Texas teen boys in a cagematch?
With the Ayatollah as the ring official
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

I think JP2 was more charming, the message is much the same.  But Benedict only has the charisma of the office. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 21, 2009, 12:56:08 PM
I think JP2 was more charming, the message is much the same.  But Benedict only has the charisma of the office.
I also think JP2 championed other causes, such as ecumenism whereas B16 finds even that repugnant.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2009, 02:24:51 PM
I also think JP2 championed other causes, such as ecumenism whereas B16 finds even that repugnant.
I think you're over-stating matters.  JP2 and Benedict's position on where other churches and other faiths are are the same.  They are damned.  The Orthodox and the Anglicans are the only other 'churches' but they are heretical.

JP2 released that in Papal Encyclicals but also praised aspects of the different faiths when he met their religious leader (Buddhism's focus on meditation and quiet when he met the Dalai Lama, the importance of prayer when he went to a Mosque).  Benedict has done that too when he's met other religious leaders but he's also been more forthright and public about the other stuff.

In terms of ecumenism (by which I mean relations with other groups the Church considers 'churches') Benedict has as good relations with the Orthodox Patriarchs and gets on very well with the Archbishop of Canterbury, they're both, after all, renowned theologians who were made into religious leaders. 

I mean in terms of action I think Benedict's been friendlier than JP2.  When conservative Anglicans wanted to leave over female priests in the 1990s JP2 put in place a process through which those vicars and their congregations could be fast-tracked into Catholicism.  By contrast Benedict has done almost everything he can to discourage discontented Anglicans from coming to Rome because of gay priests (and Bishops), blessing gay marriages and women bishops.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

Quote from: Syt on March 21, 2009, 05:48:14 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/21/2522536.htm?section=justin
Quote[...]Pope Benedict criticised the African Union's charter that guarantees women the right to an abortion in case of rape, incest, or major health risk to the mother saying the issue was not a health concern.[...]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iLJ2gzRRfTYc_YuS7r1yuwnmne-gD971UDFG0
Quote[...]He also criticized what he called the "irony of those who promote abortion as a form of 'maternal' health care." [...]

::)

I don't know what you're doing the rolleyes for, this has always been the Catholic position and is the only intellectually coherent one for the church to take.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017