The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I suppose a movie like Spartacus is totally out since it apperently took place before the invention of war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I think the whole genre of "war movie" is 20th century plus. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 05:44:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2009, 05:35:38 PM
No Bridge too far, Enemy at the Gates and Das Boot.

This is no list

Fuck that Enemy at the Gates bullshit.  Crap movie.

Sorry but the Russians do win the war.  You need to accept that fact.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2009, 05:48:44 PM

Shitty movie.  Where were the T-34s rolling right out of the factories?  Where was Chuikov?  Bah.  Crap movie.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2009, 05:48:21 PM

I'd say Glory counts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 27, 2009, 05:57:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2009, 05:48:21 PM

I'd say Glory counts.

Yes.  Best Civil War movie in years, better than Gettysburg, which was merely a reenctor's whackfest.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2009, 05:56:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2009, 05:48:44 PM

Shitty movie.  Where were the T-34s rolling right out of the factories?  Where was Chuikov?  Bah.  Crap movie.

The first part with the Russians getting wasted was cool.  After that, meh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Strix

No John Wayne love? Where is They were Expendable and Flying Tigers?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ed Anger

Quote from: Strix on July 27, 2009, 06:04:57 PM
No John Wayne love? Where is They were Expendable and Flying Tigers?

Remember, English paper. They hate John Wayne, as his manly ways offend the limp wristed average Brit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Kinda interesting to see that they skipped over Patton.  Must have decided it was far too good to be a "war movie."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 27, 2009, 06:24:48 PM
Kinda interesting to see that they skipped over Patton.  Must have decided it was far too good to be a "war movie."

It was a character study.

Razgovory

hsilbud

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2009, 05:34:05 PM
Didn't like Stalingrad either.  Germans were to emo.

I don't know how long I've spent trying to figure out why Stalingrad didn't do it for me, but you've solved my problem.  I can't believe I overlooked an answer as simple as 'too emo', but you're exactly right.

Admiral Yi

BTW if anyone has been put off from seeing Blackhawk Down due to the Jerry Bruckheimer involvement, don't.  It's a very solid movie.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain