News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bank of Canada: Recession is over

Started by citizen k, July 26, 2009, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Tim is the Chamberlain-Paper-Waving-"Peace in our time"-predictor of the future.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: KRonn on July 27, 2009, 08:35:24 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2009, 08:29:31 AM
By the way that is the Canadian recession, not necessarily the US recession.
True, but I'd think Canadians have been hit by some of the same negative issues that have hit people in the US. But I'll be glad if the Canadian recession is truly winding down, as that shows some positive light over all, I'd think.

Not really.  We didn't have a mousing bubble collapse, and we haven't had any bank failures.  So we're in much better shape than you guys.  Now the collapse of auto manufacturing has hurt parts of Ontario, and falling resource prices have hit some areas (although those having been coming back), but things aren't nearly as bad here as down there.

Besides though merely ending a recession doesn't mean much.  I certainly remember the early 90s.  Sure the recession ended quickly, but we had several years of weak growth after that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

the experts are saying that despite the End Being Here, unemployment in Ontario is still predicted to rise further than the current 8.6%.

not much of a recovery. I think they are saying that we are reaching bottom, so therefore its over and we are no longer "officially" receding.

they are also saying to keep up the stimulus spending.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

I agree with BB.  The biggest Canadian casualties of US meltdown were the lumber and auto sectors.  The Lumber sector collapsed some time ago and the Canadian economy had time to absorb that hit before the auto sector collapsed.

I am not sure where all the wealth is being generated but I suspect that although China is not the economic engine it once was it is still growing enough to buy up Canadian raw materials to keep our economy in decent shape.  Add to that the fact that our Banks were never at financial risk and we still have credit available for both consumers and business.

If oil prices go up or if we can convince China to build with wood instead of stone and brick (especially in earthquake zones) then the concern will be over worker shortages and inflation.

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on July 27, 2009, 11:21:54 AM
the experts are saying that despite the End Being Here, unemployment in Ontario is still predicted to rise further than the current 8.6%.

not much of a recovery. I think they are saying that we are reaching bottom, so therefore its over and we are no longer "officially" receding.

they are also saying to keep up the stimulus spending.

I am not sure what Ontario is going to do to replace that auto sector.  There may be the possibility of a population shift to the west if the other resource sectors heat up again.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 27, 2009, 09:33:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 27, 2009, 09:22:29 AM
Superstitious nonsense.

Bullshit, Mr. Kiss of Death.
Hey, it's not like I'm Valmy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2009, 11:16:03 AM

We didn't have a mousing bubble collapse, and we haven't had any bank failures. 

My cat is happy to hear it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Barrister

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that typo.   :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

I know the Jays will probably get a decent haul for Halliday, but I think the Bank of Canada is being a little over-optimistic about its impact.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2009, 12:24:04 PM
I know the Jays will probably get a decent haul for Halliday, but I think the Bank of Canada is being a little over-optimistic about its impact.

:lol:
:p

Valmy

They know that Canada will always go as the Jays go.  If they made Cito Gaston Prime Minister Canada would enter a golden age.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

The Bank of Canada has been a bit too much of a cheer leader for my liking.  Back in October they were saying Canada would not go into recession and now they are saying we are already out.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on July 27, 2009, 09:14:01 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 27, 2009, 09:10:18 AM
There was some positive news last week though, I'm optimistic.

Oh for fucks sake! I was also hoping for the recovery, but now it has become Tim-tainted. :bleeding:

Tim is always optimistic, so by this line of reasoning we are in a never-ending downward spiral.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?