News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I loved the Silmarillion. This is just too great a departure for me to enjoy it.  Also, too lame.
PDH!

crazy canuck

The opening scene of season 2 episode 1, is that in the the books?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 27, 2024, 06:02:31 AMI loved the Silmarillion. This is just too great a departure for me to enjoy it.  Also, too lame.
I think that is the problem. They don't have the rights to The Silmarillion, only the appendices at the end of RotK or something to that effect. That plus the desire to change story beats and lore for... no discernable reason.  :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 30, 2024, 04:33:23 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 27, 2024, 06:02:31 AMI loved the Silmarillion. This is just too great a departure for me to enjoy it.  Also, too lame.
I think that is the problem. They don't have the rights to The Silmarillion, only the appendices at the end of RotK or something to that effect. That plus the desire to change story beats and lore for... no discernable reason.  :(

It appeals to a very specific audience. Ones who love Lord of the Rings but not enough to have actually read the material.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2024, 07:39:44 AM

It appeals to a very specific audience. Ones who love Lord of the Rings but not enough to have actually read the material.

Why do you hate young people?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

So probably a very large audience. How many people do you think have actually read the appendices to the books?

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2024, 08:17:24 AM

So probably a very large audience. How many people do you think have actually read the appendices to the books?

Agreed.
I think I fall into this. I read the Hobbit and LOTR when I was young. I like them.
But I'm really not one of those super fans who know every snippet of paper Tolkein has ever wrote, all the genealogies of dynasties and ancient history and that sort of thing...
I think I'm a bit more towards this than most, I mean I've gone on some wiki deep dives and I own the Silmarillion at least, but I really don't know many details at all. I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly whats wrong in prequels without seeing the moaning online.

I don't even think it takes a LOTR fan. Post-Game of Thrones and in this age of video games as a well developed medium I'd imagine there's quite the large "Casual fantasy fan" market, for whom LOTR is a well known and respected brand and nothing more.
██████
██████
██████