News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2024, 03:26:37 PMHow it is counted wrong? Yes. We do total medals which isn't perfect, but vastly preferable to just pretending this isn't the Olympics but some other event where only first matters.

Dude, that's all of life.

garbon

From BBC:
QuoteThe Golden Voyager is glad to have all his alien friends on stage now as they are very kindly helping to assemble the Olympic rings, but not until they've had a roll around in them.

I guess he needs to be grateful for the help?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 11, 2024, 03:26:32 PMActually is this what happened because of Christian complaints?
Maybe - but also everyone in Britain loved the 2012 opening cermony and the closing ceremony was an absolute embarrassing mess of the type we'd expected it all to be. Looking at French responses and I feel something similar is happening here :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2024, 02:43:31 PMCould be wrong but I think that was a change made in American reporting of medals after they were overtaken by China on golds :P

Although I think they should do it like a league table - gold = 3 points etc :ph34r:

Someone did just that and it changes very little:

Josquius

Surely this ceremony will have been prepared long in advance of the games?

QuoteSomeone did just that and it changes very little:
Britain beats Australia.
This is all that matters.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on August 11, 2024, 03:42:20 PMSurely this ceremony will have been prepared long in advance of the games?

No it's improv. Golden Boy was a guy in line at a post office.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on August 11, 2024, 03:41:51 PMSomeone did just that and it changes very little:
I'm now fully convinced seeing that it moves Britain above Australia :ph34r:

Although I basically have zero issue with how the table is displayed (outside America). Winning is a big thing that should count for a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2024, 03:45:35 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 11, 2024, 03:41:51 PMSomeone did just that and it changes very little:
I'm now fully convinced seeing that it moves Britain above Australia :ph34r:

Although I basically have zero issue with how the table is displayed (outside America). Winning is a big thing that should count for a lot.

Tory <_<
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Honest question: do Americans refer to silver and bronze medallists as Olympic champions?

The Brain

There appears to be some kind of pop group performing.

garbon

What a celebration for the athletes...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Phoenix and Kavinsky.... I mean. I know them. Ish. But not really at the international superstar level.  :hmm:

Most of the closing ceremony was mystifying weirdness - they had the guy who organised it on French tv before hand really bigging it up - but I did like the bit with the audience wrist bands doing pixelated animations.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

TBF it's not like France has a lot of international superstars.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2024, 03:55:49 PMTBF it's not like France has a lot of international superstars.
Should have just done a three hour Jean-Michel Jarre concert.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2024, 03:57:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2024, 03:55:49 PMTBF it's not like France has a lot of international superstars.
Should have just done a three hour Jean-Michel Jarre concert.

*affirmative Todd Rivers noises*