News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on August 11, 2024, 08:57:12 AMThe bbc mentioned it's Irelands best iirc ever too.
Events bloat?
Or else... Who is doing much worse than normal?
No Russian or Belarusian athletes and the UK is doing worse (similar medal haul, fewer golds).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2024, 11:33:28 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 11, 2024, 08:57:12 AMThe bbc mentioned it's Irelands best iirc ever too.
Events bloat?
Or else... Who is doing much worse than normal?
No Russian or Belarusian athletes and the UK is doing worse (similar medal haul, fewer golds).

I've heard America does things just based on number of medals.
Which I do have some sympathy for.
Sure a gold is better than a silver but by such a level a country with a few more golds is higher than one with twice as many overall (looking at the Dutch here)?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Could be wrong but I think that was a change made in American reporting of medals after they were overtaken by China on golds :P

Although I think they should do it like a league table - gold = 3 points etc :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2024, 02:43:31 PMCould be wrong but I think that was a change made in American reporting of medals after they were overtaken by China on golds :P

That's my impression as well.  Growing up it seemed they always reported ranking by gold.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2024, 02:43:31 PMCould be wrong but I think that was a change made in American reporting of medals after they were overtaken by China on golds :P

Although I think they should do it like a league table - gold = 3 points etc :ph34r:

No, people have been giving us shit about this since at least Barcelona 1992.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2024, 02:56:45 PM

That's my impression as well.  Growing up it seemed they always reported ranking by gold.

I distinctly remember it being total medals going back to at least when I was a teenager.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on August 11, 2024, 02:34:05 PMI've heard America does things just based on number of medals.
Which I do have some sympathy for.
Sure a gold is better than a silver but by such a level a country with a few more golds is higher than one with twice as many overall (looking at the Dutch here)?

Personally I could see weighing golds higher, like Sheilbh suggests, but I just think it is idiotic to act like Bronze and Silver Medals do not exist because they clearly do. The Olympics is entirely organized around the concept that 2nd and 3rd place are also champions, obviously not as prestigious as Gold, but still.

So I just reject the perverse and unnatural notion that only gold matters in the Olympics. If that was true there would not be Silver and Bronze medals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

That's not how it's counted though. It's you count golds first if there's a tie-break (like this year US and China) then silvers, then bronzes.

It's not just gold numbers.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Actually is this what happened because of Christian complaints?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2024, 03:22:52 PMThat's not how it's counted though. It's you count golds first if there's a tie-break (like this year US and China) then silvers, then bronzes.

It's not just gold numbers.

How it is counted wrong? Yes. We do total medals which isn't perfect, but vastly preferable to just pretending this isn't the Olympics but some other event where only first matters.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2024, 03:15:39 PMThe Olympics is entirely organized around the concept that 2nd and 3rd place are also champions, obviously not as prestigious as Gold, but still.

Someone never got picked first in school. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I would agree with the points system for medals.
We could even compromise on golds being special special and give gold 4, with 2 and 1 for silver and bronze.

Which does remind me of the interesting contrasts in reactions of athletes finishing 2nd and 3rd.
To some it was a disaster. They had absolutely failed. Others were ecstatic. They'd won.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

So many obvious Christian references in the closing ceremony. Come on guys, we get it. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2024, 03:32:49 PMSo many obvious Christian references in the closing ceremony. Come on guys, we get it. :rolleyes:

:lol:

garbon

Aliens and a bee make the Olympic rings?