News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: HVC on August 05, 2024, 08:54:54 AMItalian Olympian was photographed sleeping in a park and the story became then olympic village is so bad athletes have to sleep outside :D
I was watching a highlights show last night and they had the Womens' High Jump on, and it looked like the athletes were sleeping in sleeping bags on the floor of the stadium in between jumps. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on August 05, 2024, 08:54:54 AMItalian Olympian was photographed sleeping in a park and the story became then olympic village is so bad athletes have to sleep outside :D
The Italians have been going off :lol: I think that was Thomas Ceccon who has also complained about the food in the Olympic Village. Italian commentators have said the coffee being served in the media centre is like drinking the Seine :lol:

On the Olympic Village I have seen a huge number of people complaining about the "eco-village" decisions - in particular that the beds made of cardboard are really bad and it is far, far too hot. Not just the Italians either.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

The ac thing was so dumb. I mentioned it before the games began. Instead of getting an efficient system of heat pumps they got basically nothing .cold loop flooring. Heated flooring works fine, cold flooring is dumb. So obviously teams bought inefficient portable units (or went off site). Forest for the trees thinking.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

I do wonder if this might be a big part of France doing so well - a lot of their athletes are just sleeping at home.
Quote from: Gups on August 05, 2024, 08:43:38 AMYou absolutely need weight classes in boxing or you would only get heavyweights able to compete. 
That's the point.
You only get the most suited in other sports.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on August 05, 2024, 09:11:33 AMThe ac thing was so dumb. I mentioned it before the games began. Instead of getting an efficient system of heat pumps they got basically nothing .cold loop flooring. Heated flooring works fine, cold flooring is dumb. So obviously teams bought inefficient portable units (or went off site). Forest for the trees thinking.
I think it's a little bit of a European attitude to cooling. Rather than it being necessary, capable of being powered by renewables and linking into a wider system of heat pumps and water heating - it is often just viewed as bad. It's really weird. No-one doubts the necessity of heating but a lot of people really push back on cooling being in anyway potentially necessary. I've mentioned before but guidance in London for new builds - including 20+ floor blocks - which now have high insulation standards are basically that there should almost never be AC allowed in the planning permission.

I think the French response on complaints about the temperature is that athletes should keep the blinds closed all day and keep the windows open at night (but closed during the day).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Window blinds work to bring down temps a couple of degrees. Works good at mid to low 20s. Not high 20s or 30s. Also doesn't work great in small rooms with multiple people.

I'm taking thus oddly  personal. I run hot :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Are they are aware the climate is getting warmer?

Maybe they are counting in the Gulf Stream breaking down and Europe becoming a frozen wasteland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I'm guessing LA in 2028 will be fully ACed every where?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 05, 2024, 09:52:36 AMI'm guessing LA in 2028 will be fully ACed every where?

I've never been there but it strikes me as a place with the worst parts of Japan amped up to 10.
I expect air conditioned outdoor arenas.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 05, 2024, 09:52:36 AMI'm guessing LA in 2028 will be fully ACed every where?

I mean unless they don't mind athletes passing out or getting heat stroke :D

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on August 05, 2024, 09:17:46 AMI do wonder if this might be a big part of France doing so well - a lot of their athletes are just sleeping at home.
Quote from: Gups on August 05, 2024, 08:43:38 AMYou absolutely need weight classes in boxing or you would only get heavyweights able to compete. 
That's the point.
You only get the most suited in other sports.

I don't know what this means.

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on August 05, 2024, 09:57:14 AM

I've never been there but it strikes me as a place with the worst parts of Japan amped up to 10.

When we are ignorant of a topic, we don't have to speak. We can be silent and listen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Flats in London are going to need AC, probably do already  :mad:

But perhaps it is all an evil plot to kill off pensioners and save money  :P

HVC

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2024, 10:32:13 AM

When we are ignorant of a topic, we don't have to speak. We can be silent and listen.

It's like you've never been on languish before today :D

garbon

Quote from: HVC on August 05, 2024, 10:39:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2024, 10:32:13 AM

It's like you've never been on languish before today :D

Oh I've encountered Jos before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.