News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2024, 01:39:23 PMBiles- Wow
Yeah - also gymnastics is the sport where I am most just in awe of the athletes.

Also very much enjoying the tennis this evening (in Murray's swansong).
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Turkish guy winning silver without using special glasses or ear protectors that most competitors wear.

(Bonus points for Mikec v Dikec)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

saskganesh

Hi.

Enjoying the Canadian chicks' footy story. They won their first two games, then lost the results of those victories because of drone spying of enemies closed practices. Heads suspended, big fine from FIFA .. then they beat Columbia and based on a single official victory, moved out of their group and into the playdowns anyway. They face Germany on Saturday in the quarterfinal.

Should be intense. Germany would have been expecting to face a more normal lower seed. Canada squad has a lot of motivation.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Sask!!!! :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Yeah, the Germans have got to be feeling like they got the short end of that deal.

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on August 01, 2024, 03:10:39 PMHi.

Enjoying the Canadian chicks' footy story. They won their first two games, then lost the results of those victories because of drone spying of enemies closed practices. Heads suspended, big fine from FIFA .. then they beat Columbia and based on a single official victory, moved out of their group and into the playdowns anyway. They face Germany on Saturday in the quarterfinal.

Should be intense. Germany would have been expecting to face a more normal lower seed. Canada squad has a lot of motivation.

Holy Shit a Sasks post!

Welcome back dude.  Hope you stick around a bit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2024, 06:58:23 PMI don't think they intended to insult anyone. It is just very hard to do anything in the age of social media and not have a reaction of outrage from somebody.

I went back in this thread and realized I never commented on the opening ceremonies.

First of all - the idea that it wasn't intended as a Last Supper parody is laughable.  Obviously it was.

Second - yes a lot of right-wing trolls were just looking for something to be offended by.

Third - no, they never would have done anything like this for Islam.

Fourth - and my main point - it's just so tired and lazy.  I mean making a mockery of The Last Supper with drag queens would have been edgy in the 1980s, might have got you prosecuted for blasphemy in the 1960s (not up on French blasphemy laws from the 1960s), but in 2024 I feel like the only ones who would get seriously offended (not the online trolls) would be your great-grandmother.

I don't think anyone has ever beat the 2012 London opening ceremony, with Rowan Atkinson / James Bond and Her Majesty being involved.  And that includes beating the 2010 Vancouver games with Wayne Gretzky in the back of a truck in the rain for some inexplicable reason.

HVC

Quote from: Syt on August 01, 2024, 03:00:27 PMTurkish guy winning silver without using special glasses or ear protectors that most competitors wear.

(Bonus points for Mikec v Dikec)

I smell a remake of Taken.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Also on Biles just heard that she's the oldest all round gold medalist in 72 years - at the age of 27 :blink:

Don't think I'd ever realised quite how short a gymnast's elite competitive time frame is.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2024, 04:17:21 PMAlso on Biles just heard that she's the oldest all round gold medalist in 72 years - at the age of 27 :blink:

Don't think I'd ever realised quite how short a gymnast's elite competitive time frame is.

One of the remarkable things about her is she is responsible for older gymnasts competing, simply because more strength is now required to perform the skill elements she created in the sport.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2024, 04:17:21 PMAlso on Biles just heard that she's the oldest all round gold medalist in 72 years - at the age of 27 :blink:

It used to be the case but less so now.  Since the scoring system was changed to have separate difficulty and execution scores, the anorexic pre-pubescent girls have lost their competitive advantage that they enjoyed for many decades.  Difficult routines are rewarded a lot more now, and those require strong adult bodies.

Josquius

I learned the other day quite how tiny Biles is.
Given it seems to be believed gymnastics stunts your growth she must be good to reach such lows.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Josquius on August 02, 2024, 12:59:43 AMI learned the other day quite how tiny Biles is.
Given it seems to be believed gymnastics stunts your growth she must be good to reach such lows.

Her husband is large; he plays football for the Chicago Bears; so their couple pictures are like this:

Their kids are probably going to rebel and become Certified Professional Accountants or computer scientists.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC

How much traction is the boxing match getting in your neck of the woods?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on August 02, 2024, 09:53:12 AMHow much traction is the boxing match getting in your neck of the woods?

It's all over Twitter - haven't seen it in the real world yet.