News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EURO 2024

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 16, 2024, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In Germany, there were lots of positive comments about the Scots and Dutch. English ... not so much.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2024, 02:31:32 AMIn Germany, there were lots of positive comments about the Scots and Dutch. English ... not so much.

... and the Dutch are not known to be fond of the Germans, at least football wise - right?

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2024, 10:12:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2024, 02:31:32 AMIn Germany, there were lots of positive comments about the Scots and Dutch. English ... not so much.

... and the Dutch are not known to be fond of the Germans, at least football wise - right?

Yes, but it's more of a friendly rivalry these days while also relentlessly making fun of each other (e.g. plenty German ads making fun of Dutch clichés, and probably even more vice versa). Nowhere near as aggressive as it used to be.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2024, 01:59:58 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 18, 2024, 01:41:57 AMDenmark... Who are they again? :p

A country that's won the Euro more times than England :hug:

Although in such a fashion that they had to change the rules :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2024, 12:20:50 PMAlthough in such a fashion that they had to change the rules :lol:

Still good for smack-talking the English. A win is a win :showoff:

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2024, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2024, 12:20:50 PMAlthough in such a fashion that they had to change the rules :lol:

Still good for smack-talking the English. A win is a win :showoff:

Fair, and I approve :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Although to really turn the screw the Scotts or Irish really need to up their game.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2024, 12:09:19 PM

Yes, but it's more of a friendly rivalry these days while also relentlessly making fun of each other (e.g. plenty German ads making fun of Dutch clichés, and probably even more vice versa). Nowhere near as aggressive as it used to be.

Yeah, it's been like that a long time now. I think the change came in the 90s?

Iormlund

Quote from: Josquius on July 16, 2024, 03:06:19 PMAlso a pretty straight forward battle centuries ago is a bit of a different thing to threatening the self determination of a modern territory.

Not for us. Gibraltar is a thing of the past for the Spanish public. A non-issue.

I can't recall a single time it came up in real life. And even in politics forums such as Spanish EUOT it has only surfaced a couple times in the 12 years I've been around. And just because of money laundering, gambling or smuggling.

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on July 18, 2024, 02:26:38 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2024, 12:09:19 PM

Yeah, it's been like that a long time now. I think the change came in the 90s?
I think so. The last really contentious match I recall was during Italy '90.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on July 18, 2024, 02:37:19 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 16, 2024, 03:06:19 PMAlso a pretty straight forward battle centuries ago is a bit of a different thing to threatening the self determination of a modern territory.

Not for us. Gibraltar is a thing of the past for the Spanish public. A non-issue.

I can't recall a single time it came up in real life. And even in politics forums such as Spanish EUOT it has only surfaced a couple times in the 12 years I've been around. And just because of money laundering, gambling or smuggling.

Yes I had thought so. It's not a weird national obsession the way the Falklands are for Argentina.
Which makes this sudden outburst from the fans and team all the weirder
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Josquius on July 18, 2024, 03:18:26 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on July 18, 2024, 02:37:19 PM

Yes I had thought so. It's not a weird national obsession the way the Falklands are for Argentina.
Which makes this sudden outburst from the fans and team all the weirder

I haven't seen it, but my best guess is they were just ribbing the English.

Stupid and unfortunate, because that's not how it would be perceived. But looking beyond it for deeper meaning is a waste of time.

Sheilbh

Unless it was Dani Carvajal :P :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!