News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In this thread the year is 1985.

Started by Legbiter, July 13, 2024, 07:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Here's two very much globally unknown popular songs from the decade from Iceland. Post two iconic 80's songs only per person.

I was playing with action figurines and violating contemporary child protection laws daily unwittingly as a proud six year old. What was your daily routine in 1985?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Norgy

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Started walking in late 1985. It was a big year for me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2024, 10:24:03 PMStarted walking in late 1985. It was a big year for me.

I was born. That was pretty momentous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I was 7 in 1985. First song is one from a Catalan band that was my and my brother's favorite song at the time. It also contains a bunch of Lovecraft references that I didn't catch on until I grew up.

Also, mom was (is) a huge Dire Straits band and that's when Brothers in Arms came out. She played it incessantly. My favorite track of it (at the time) was Money for Nothing.

Norgy

I really like grumbler's first choice.

This was, well, one that kicked me.

Iormlund

My dad has always been at most indifferent to music. But for some reason one day in 1987 (?) he showed up with the first two LPs I remember playing:

And especially MJ's Bad, which I listened for countless hours:

Syt

Yesterday in 1985 was the Live Aid Concert in Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Aid

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

It was also a year Norway's A-ha made one of their best songs. Slight problem: It is about a murder.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

1985 movie taking place in 1985.  :) Well, not only. ;)

Tonitrus

Rex Francorum

It is in 1985 that I decided I wanted to be a historian. I was 14. 38 years later, I am a historian.
To rent