News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Copa América 2024

Started by FunkMonk, June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Winner of this Pan-American football tournament (originally South American championship) will play the EURO 2024 winner in the Finalíssima.
Interesting. :)

Josquius

All I've heard about this is a lot of Latin American fans are pissed it is being priced out of their reach and hosted somewhere nobody cares
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Are North and South America playing together now?  I feel like I missed a memo.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2024, 03:20:45 AMAre North and South America playing together now?  I feel like I missed a memo.

Yes. This is the South America Championship but this year it is being hosted by the United States and a bunch of CONCACAF are in it...I think this has something to do with the World Cup being here in 2026.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on June 21, 2024, 03:11:56 AMAll I've heard about this is a lot of Latin American fans are pissed it is being priced out of their reach and hosted somewhere nobody cares

All I've heard is that a lot of Latin American fans who live in the US can actually watch their country play football in person.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 21, 2024, 01:01:15 AMWinner of this Pan-American football tournament (originally South American championship) will play the EURO 2024 winner in the Finalíssima.
Interesting. :)

Oh are we doing away with the Gold Cup?

I don't know what is going on. Point is CONCACAF is playing in this tournament this year. Maybe the South Americans want more easy wins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 21, 2024, 12:45:58 AMSorry, but it gets a little too confusing in the EURO 2024 thread.

Mods, please move the relevant American content over here. I am sure it will get some traction. :)
I hear Brazil is not great, with some telenovela happening behind the scenes. :D

No matches share a start time. Be happy we talk about soccer at other times of the day.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Boo Jacob.

Giving in so easily to bullshit European soccer superiority syndrome.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2024, 06:27:16 AMBoo Jacob.

It's too confusing for the Euros apparently.  Need to keep the foreigners out.

Barrister

Indeed!

It's actually kind of cool having both tournaments going on at the same time - yet with no games overlapping.  Some days there's near constant international soccer going on.

I'm looking at TSN's schedule for just today:

8:45am Slovakia v Ukraine
11:45am Poland v Austria
2:45pm Netherlands v France
7:45pm Peru v Chile

(there's also a CFL game in there - TSN does have more than one channel)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

It's kinda crazy to have international football happening every few hours. It is too much for me and I might get sick  :ph34r:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

So that being said I didn't get to watch Argentina v Canada last night.  Because I was watching exciting GEMSA U11 softball playoffs! (Greater Edmonton Minor Softball Association).

So my youngest guy, Josh, plays softball.  Softball is a weird sport because historically it's a girls sport, but the distinction between baseball=boys and softball=girls was taken down a long time ago.  That being said - we're an all-boys team, but I think every team we've played so far has been all-girls.

Half the team has never played before - and those that have played before (like Josh) have only played a year or two at most.  We're also a "community" team - so anyone who signs up makes the team.

That being said we've had a good season, won most of our games (though never really destroyed anyone).

For playoffs though - now we've been moved up a division.  Now we're in Division B.  These are teams that actually do winter tryouts in order to make the team.  Our team met for the first time at the end of April.  But yes - again against an all-girls team.

But anyways - we fell behind early, clawed our way back, tied it after 5 innings - and had to play an extra inning to decide things.  While the girls scored 1 at the top of the inning, we brought in 2 runs to win the game.

So hey - if you want to say it's not fair we're playing an all-boys team against all-girls teams I'll listen to what you have to say.  But this is a U11 team - so 9 and 10 year olds.  Puberty is not yet a factor.

So they move on in the playoffs.  I'm really proud of our boys for coming together and learning the game.  My boy has even started pitching (although - coach did not put him in to pitch in the playoffs).

Next game is tomorrow at 8:45 am.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

At around that age girls could have the advantage even. They tend to have growth spurts around then a few years before the boys.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2024, 10:51:44 AM

Indeed!

It's actually kind of cool having both tournaments going on at the same time - yet with no games overlapping.  Some days there's near constant international soccer going on.

I'm looking at TSN's schedule for just today:

8:45am Slovakia v Ukraine
11:45am Poland v Austria
2:45pm Netherlands v France
7:45pm Peru v Chile

(there's also a CFL game in there - TSN does have more than one channel)

Isn't the hockey on today too?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on June 21, 2024, 01:46:46 PMIsn't the hockey on today too?

Yeah but ever since I stopped watching Edmonton has been winning. If I watch the game and Florida wins I will never forgive myself.

I have extreme power in sporting events  :ph34r: