News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Young People and Politics

Started by Jacob, May 29, 2024, 03:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2024, 05:25:49 PMAnd the fastest growing subject is Further Maths :o :P

Is that math that's always a day or more away? I could really excel that that.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Given the grade inflation for A level exams over the last 30 years, is 42% getting a A or A* really that great a result?

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2024, 05:31:16 PMGiven the grade inflation for A level exams over the last 30 years, is 42% getting a A or A* really that great a result?
Looking forward to your next Daily Telegraph column :lol: :P

Although because I'm a nerd, I found the breakdown quite interesting:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

The article made me realise a problem I have: I studied math in Hungarian.

But I am fairly certain the end of high school state exam (which I think is what A levels also are) I had to take was noticeably more complex. For one thing it had geometry which dragged down my score exactly as I thought it would.  :mad:

Sheilbh

:lol: I was very, very good at maths until I hit the point they introduced geometry. So I quite :ph34r:

Although not sure the three questions the Guardian picked (from paper 3!) is necessarily a fair representation :P Though I can well believe CEE countries have higher standards on maths. My experience is they're generally very much more serious (about culture too).
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2024, 05:37:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2024, 05:31:16 PMGiven the grade inflation for A level exams over the last 30 years, is 42% getting a A or A* really that great a result?
Looking forward to your next Daily Telegraph column :lol: :P

Although because I'm a nerd, I found the breakdown quite interesting:

Yeah, that's what I thought, same grade bloat as usual for Math A levels.

Sheilbh

I think it's more the courses where answers are right or wrong have higher proportion of kids getting high marks.

The courses where it's about building an argument and interpretation are more challenging - but I would say that. I did English (Literature), History and Drama :ph34r: :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2024, 05:58:55 PM:lol: I was very, very good at maths until I hit the point they introduced geometry. So I quite :ph34r:

Although not sure the three questions the Guardian picked (from paper 3!) is necessarily a fair representation :P Though I can well believe CEE countries have higher standards on maths. My experience is they're generally very much more serious (about culture too).

Ah I thought these were all the questions.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2024, 06:14:00 PMI think it's more the courses where answers are right or wrong have higher proportion of kids getting high marks.

The courses where it's about building an argument and interpretation are more challenging - but I would say that. I did English (Literature), History and Drama :ph34r: :P

When I was a student, selection-type tests were very rare, I really liked them, 25% chance to get a question right even if you know zero things about it.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2024, 06:19:20 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2024, 06:14:00 PMI think it's more the courses where answers are right or wrong have higher proportion of kids getting high marks.

When I was a student, selection-type tests were very rare, I really liked them, 25% chance to get a question right even if you know zero things about it.

One of my uni courses had a negative grade for the wrong answer on multiple choice. . -0.25 IIRC. Better off not answering a question you didn't know :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2024, 06:17:17 PMAh I thought these were all the questions.
Oh no :lol:

Six hours, three exams - and if you really love maths you could do further maths too :bleeding:

Papers from a different exam board last year to give you a bit of a sense (possibly of what's coming as a suppotive dad helping with homework :P):
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2023/june/AQA-73571-QP-JUN23.PDF
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2023/june/AQA-73572-QP-JUN23.PDF
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2023/june/AQA-73573-QP-JUN23.PDF

Give me Texts in Shared Contexts or Love Through the Ages any day :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 15, 2024, 06:25:48 PMOne of my uni courses had a negative grade for the wrong answer on multiple choice. . -0.25 IIRC. Better off not answering a question you didn't know :ph34r:

The SAT does the same thing.

Sheilbh

I've never heard of that approach here. We were always told it's better to try and answer everything or you're leaving marks on the table - and you might well work your way to the answer.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2024, 07:09:03 PMI've never heard of that approach here. We were always told it's better to try and answer everything or you're leaving marks on the table - and you might well work your way to the answer.

all of my other experiences were like that. You could usually work it to 50/50 chance for questions you weren't sure about.  I'd mark off the question with a guess in the margin. Then come back at the end of the test to see if I guessed the same answer :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

It is really quite hard to get a C in maths. If you understand the work you will tend to get an A, if you don't then a fail is on the cards. If, by chance, one does get a C then it is probably best not to move on to the next level of difficulty.