News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EURO 2024

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 16, 2024, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on July 15, 2024, 05:55:28 PMOther than not winning the top prize, Southgate has done well. Of course in the end results matter and I don't expect him to be manager tomorrow

2nd place is just the first loser :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

It seems a conclusion in British commenter circles and probably journalists as well is that the England team is made of world class players. Now, clearly their average is very high but is there like a single world-renown player there? Kane used to be the best English striker but was he ever considered one of the global best?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2024, 01:29:11 AMIt seems a conclusion in British commenter circles and probably journalists as well is that the England team is made of world class players. Now, clearly their average is very high but is there like a single world-renown player there? Kane used to be the best English striker but was he ever considered one of the global best?

Let them have their moment to deal with their loss.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Bellingham has (had?) been tipped for the Ballon d'Or after his season at Real Madrid - much to my chagrin.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2024, 01:29:11 AMIt seems a conclusion in British commenter circles and probably journalists as well is that the England team is made of world class players. Now, clearly their average is very high but is there like a single world-renown player there? Kane used to be the best English striker but was he ever considered one of the global best?

A comment I read somewhere the other day that seems to make sense -
England has the best squad in the world.
It doesn't have the best team in the world.

We've too many very good players in a few positions but can't put them all on the field at once. This compares to e.g. Spain where they've a more even spread of talent points across the 11 starting positions.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Sheilbh

I don't know - I suppose it depends what you mean by world class. It's one of those things that in my head I tie to the endless, tedious Messi-Ronaldo discourse :lol:

There's always a back and forth on this - and the autopsy was easier or clearer when England just flamed out in the round of sixteen v Iceland.

As I say the England team has the top scorer in the Bundesliga, La Liga player of the year (who won the Champions League) and three players who were key in the previous Champions League winners' (who won the treble) success. As a broad group they've been in consecutive Euros finals, and a semi and quarter final in the World Cup. I think that's a big chunk of the squad who I think have a credible claim to be at the very top and as a group fairly consistently doing well. Having said that as England, I feel like they actually need to win something (going deep in competitions is definite progress though).

With Kane specifically I think he probably is one of the best in his position in the world - but he's a striker and I think football's not been particularly focused on strikers in the last 10-15 years. Maybe Haaland will change that. Perhaps Pep, having taken us away from strikers will now take us back to all teams having a big man up front :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

And as I predicted, looks like Southgate is out
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

It's been long enough. 2 cycles is a lot.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

He's resigned - and I think it is right.

When he got the job in 2016 he installed a clock at the England base counting down to the Qatar World Cup. He always talked about the fixes to England being long-term and aimed for Qatar, six years down the line. It felt a bit odd to me that he stayed on after Qatar (though I think that was probably right).

But, given that, it makes sense for him to move on now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Frank Lampard here we go!

Norgy

Now might be a good time to reanimate Brian Clough.

HVC

Give Neville another chance. I smell a come back story  :lmfao:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on July 14, 2024, 07:00:58 PM:bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:

Could be worse. Fernando Santos or Roberto Martínez.  :P