News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EURO 2024

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 16, 2024, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Threviel

For the first time ever Spain won in football by not defecating on the very idea of football.

England played very well, but Spain was very superior and although the game wasn't as entertaining as the final against Germany they played well and tried to go for the second goal.

In alla boring final in an uninteresting championship

HVC

Quote from: Threviel on July 14, 2024, 04:05:17 PMFor the first time ever Spain won in football by not defecating on the very idea of football.

England played very well, but Spain was very superior and although the game wasn't as entertaining as the final against Germany they played well and tried to go for the second goal.

In alla boring final in an uninteresting championship

Only when they were down, as was their style the whole tournament.  Things could have been different if they played that way the whole match.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

England only played well when first suffering a goal...

Sheilbh

Better team won, which is unfortunate because I wanted England to win :(

Quote from: Threviel on July 10, 2024, 03:54:44 PMMakes me think of Lars Lagerbäck. Sweden's best manager since '94. He was ridiculed for being boring and kicked out and since then we've not had it and he went on to take on England with Iceland...
Methinks the English will miss Southgate in years to come. 
Yeah. I think on the one hand he has been outstanding - by some distance the best manager in my lifetime who's made England a competitor in basically every tournament. But I also feel that, perhaps, his time has come. So I do worry about that.

Flipside is that while I have always been team Southgate - my whole perception of him and what he's done is very shaped by the play about his time at England, Dear England, and some of the reporting around him. That all emphasises that a lot of what Southgate has done has basically been about culture and that's something that I hope lasts regardless of the manager. I'd hope you can keep the culture shift with a different manager and approach. But who knows :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

A swap between Southgate and Deschamps would be interesting.  :lol:

Zoupa

:bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:

Sheilbh

Having just read in the Guardian that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are among the names under consideration if Southgate goes, I now think that Southgate should be offered the job for life.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2024, 02:45:23 PMHaving just read in the Guardian that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are among the names under consideration if Southgate goes, I know think that Southgate should be offered the job for life.

:D yes if those are the alternatives Southgate should get tenure.

Josquius

In terms of results with 2/3 finals Southgate is the best England manager ever (surely 2 silvers beats a gold?)
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2024, 02:45:23 PMHaving just read in the Guardian that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are among the names under consideration if Southgate goes, I now think that Southgate should be offered the job for life.

:D

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2024, 02:49:06 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2024, 02:45:23 PMHaving just read in the Guardian that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are among the names under consideration if Southgate goes, I know think that Southgate should be offered the job for life.

Just bite the bullet and hire a South American coach :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Poch :wub: (Although I don't know if he's suited or would have any desire for international football).
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 15, 2024, 05:07:20 PM[quote  :D =Tamas link=msg=1448050 date=1721072946]

QuoteJust bite the bullet and hire a South American coach :P

Argentine.
Say, Bielsa. :D

Josephus

Other than not winning the top prize, Southgate has done well. Of course in the end results matter and I don't expect him to be manager tomorrow
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011