And we're back!

Main Menu

EURO 2024

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 16, 2024, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 09, 2024, 02:42:51 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 02:25:54 PMFrance has two goals. One for them and one for spain

Looks like they changed to goal.  Gave it to Olmo

So it's no longer a tie. :P

Still, all the way to semis on one goal is something. Not a good something, but something all the same.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 03:57:39 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 09, 2024, 02:42:51 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 02:25:54 PMFrance has two goals. One for them and one for spain

Looks like they changed to goal.  Gave it to Olmo

So it's no longer a tie. :P

Still, all the way to semis on one goal is something. Not a good something, but something all the same.

Indeed.

It's called « La chatte à Dédé » in French. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2024, 03:13:21 PMI totally thought this game wasn't until later in the week.
And I missed France scoring a goal.

Is it just me or has this euros just been one big cripple fight? Bar Spain and Germany basically everyone is either on a good day Meh (normal) or meant to be good but playing shit.

How internationals have fallen. International football peaked in the late 90s and it's just been a slide towards irrelevance since.

It's you.  There were a lot of entertaining pool games.

You may have been watching too many games involving France and England.  Those were mainly terrible to watch.

crazy canuck

Thankfully Spain won.  There is still hope for teams adopting exciting play styles.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2024, 03:13:21 PMIs it just me or has this euros just been one big cripple fight? Bar Spain and Germany basically everyone is either on a good day Meh (normal) or meant to be good but playing shit.

How internationals have fallen. International football peaked in the late 90s and it's just been a slide towards irrelevance since.
There's too much football. Most of these players have played a lot of domestic and European competitions already, plus UEFA and FIFA always trying to squeeze out more international games.

In a weird (concerning) way, it's possibly why Qatar was so good from a footballing perspective. It was in the middle of the (European) season so lots of players weren't knackered. Mbappe has already played 48 games this season, I think Kane's been playing about 50 games a season for the last 4-5 years - and then the Euros start.

You either need smaller leagues, less European football or fewer internationals - and for all of the bodies involved in that it's their cash cow. I think it's bad for the players but I also think it means a lot of them are just really exhausted by the time the international tournament starts.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Now, do I want to see Spain crush English dreams or Dutch? With the Dutch there's a chance they could actually play well and win. Hmm. Decisions decisions. Guess it depends on who pays the ref the most :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2024, 04:02:34 PMThankfully Spain won.  There is still hope for teams adopting exciting play styles.

Waiting for threviel to confirm. :P

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2024, 04:14:47 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2024, 03:13:21 PMIs it just me or has this euros just been one big cripple fight? Bar Spain and Germany basically everyone is either on a good day Meh (normal) or meant to be good but playing shit.

There's too much football. Most of these players have played a lot of domestic and European competitions already, plus UEFA and FIFA always trying to squeeze out more international games.

In a weird (concerning) way, it's possibly why Qatar was so good from a footballing perspective. It was in the middle of the (European) season so lots of players weren't knackered. Mbappe has already played 48 games this season, I think Kane's been playing about 50 games a season for the last 4-5 years - and then the Euros start.

You either need smaller leagues, less European football or fewer internationals - and for all of the bodies involved in that it's their cash cow. I think it's bad for the players but I also think it means a lot of them are just really exhausted by the time the international tournament starts.

If you moved international games to the winter northern countries would have more of a chance. Finish football powerhouses?  :ph34r:

FunkMonk

Good thing Fifa are starting a brand new competition in the club world cup. These players need less rest and more fatigue.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 09, 2024, 04:18:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2024, 04:02:34 PMThankfully Spain won.  There is still hope for teams adopting exciting play styles.

Waiting for threviel to confirm. :P

He holds a grudge, but acknowledges current realities :D

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2024, 04:14:47 PM

I do think it's part of it. Though I'd lean less towards too much and more towards the risks and rewards just being so much greater in club football.
Back in the 20th century it's perfectly believable someone would take a  career risking chance to try and win  a major international tournament.
These days... It's just not worth it. Internationals are to be taken calmly and avoiding any injuries.
Risking a decent but still mortal level career vs. Bazillionaire Superstardom is quite different.
But then yeah. That you've been playing too much would make the risks by default higher.

But certainly true it's mad how basically non existent the gap between the seasons and the euros seems to have been.
Doubtless premier league teams have a different setup but Sunderland has its first 2 pre season friendlies on Saturday.

For fewer internationals.... Maybe it's my imagination but didn't england used to play a lot more friendlies where players would get their first and second caps? Trying out absolute fringe players, division one players even. I suspect sometimes not even with an eye towards them being in a competitive England team and more just rewarding them for playing well or relations with their clubs or... God knows what.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 09, 2024, 04:20:12 PMGood thing Fifa are starting a brand new competition in the club world cup. These players need less rest and more fatigue.

:lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 09, 2024, 04:20:12 PMGood thing Fifa are starting a brand new competition in the club world cup. These players need less rest and more fatigue.
Exactly :bleeding: They need to unionise properly like in American sports.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2024, 04:22:35 PM
Exactly :bleeding: They need to unionise properly like in American sports.

They already make big bucks. You need poor athletes to start a union.

Zoupa

I fear we're still gonna be stuck with Deschamps "he took us to the semi-finals".

What an absolute bore. Even Spain parked the bus after the first 20 minutes. I can't wait for the Premier League to start back up.