News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EURO 2024

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 16, 2024, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2024, 08:36:30 AMBTW that last-moment Italian goal has kept Hungarian hopes alive.

Now it will just take the small task of England beating Slovenia to ensure Hungary gets through.  :ph34r:
See the end of today's David Squires :console:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2024/jun/25/david-squires-on-scotland-england-cristiano-ronaldo-euro-2024?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2024, 08:14:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 25, 2024, 07:07:09 AM"Fun" fact - Hungarians, when they rebelled against the Habsburgs, exerted pressure on "their" minorities, like Croats, to "Hungarize" them. So must have sucked at the bottom of the pecking order - German-Austrians discriminating against Hungarians, Hungarians discriminating against (e.g.) Croats, etc. It's discrimination all the way down, I guess. :P

Do you mean 1848?  There were "fun" three-way village-burnings between Hungarians, Romanians, assortment of Southern Slavs, IIRC.

Hungarians are far from blameless (not just 1848 but policies post-1867 as well), but it is also worth noting that this was preceded by centuries of Habsburgs routinely playing the various nationalities (mostly non-Hungarians against the uppity Hungarian nobility) against each other.

On the bright side all of that turmoil likely encouraged my Ruthenian ancestors to migrate to the prairies of Canada in around 1900.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2024, 09:25:15 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 25, 2024, 07:07:09 AM"Fun" fact - Hungarians, when they rebelled against the Habsburgs, exerted pressure on "their" minorities, like Croats, to "Hungarize" them. So must have sucked at the bottom of the pecking order - German-Austrians discriminating against Hungarians, Hungarians discriminating against (e.g.) Croats, etc. It's discrimination all the way down, I guess. :P

Do you mean 1848?  There were "fun" three-way village-burnings between Hungarians, Romanians, assortment of Southern Slavs, IIRC.

Hungarians are far from blameless (not just 1848 but policies post-1867 as well), but it is also worth noting that this was preceded by centuries of Habsburgs routinely playing the various nationalities (mostly non-Hungarians against the uppity Hungarian nobility) against each other.

On the bright side all of that turmoil likely encouraged my Ruthenian ancestors to migrate to the prairies of Canada in around 1900.

You and your family sure missed out on a lot of fun.

crazy canuck

Yep, my paternal ancestors also missed out on all the fun by migrating from a village just outside of what was then known as Königsberg at about the same time.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2024, 09:32:33 AMYep, my paternal ancestors also missed out on all the fun by migrating from a village just outside of what was then known as Königsberg at about the same time.

:lol: Talk about dodging bullets.

Duque de Bragança

Guess what, an own goal again. :D Austria 1 Netherlands 0

La chatte à Dédé !  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Some normality restored: Batavians equalise, a minute in the 2nd half.

Syt

That may be, but my head canon is more poetic. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Austria scores again (looked like an o.f) but credited to Schmid.
2-1
Mbappé, or rather France, scores at last!
1-0 for les Bleus

HVC

I'm all for NL being embarrassed,  but I keep giving them too much credit in my pool picks.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 25, 2024, 12:27:38 PMMbappé, or rather France, scores at last!
1-0 for les Bleus

Penalty, right?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on June 25, 2024, 12:29:26 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 25, 2024, 12:27:38 PMMbappé, or rather France, scores at last!
1-0 for les Bleus

Penalty, right?

Cela va de soi ! :frog:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on June 25, 2024, 12:29:06 PMI'm all for NL being embarrassed,  but I keep giving them too much credit in my pool picks.

They heard you. They just equalised. :P

Duque de Bragança

Guess what, Austria scored again.  :lol:

Josephus

Austria leads the group as it stands
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011