News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EURO 2024

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 16, 2024, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 23, 2024, 04:09:06 PMDidn't watch the game,  why so much extra time?

Serious injury to the Hungarian striker, he was taken to hospital.

HVC

Let's go Croatia!

:x
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Moment of anger followed by joy.

Come on lesser of two evils!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2024, 03:14:19 PMMoment of anger followed by joy.

Come on lesser of two evils!

Italy has a great goalkeeper; shame there is no squad on the same level.

Josephus

I picked a draw in this so I find myself hoping Italy scores
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Germany and Italy have failed me  :(

Fortunately Orbanistan and Spain pulled through.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

German farewell for Scotland, who they've quite liked :lol:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/c5111zp7egwo

As Carl Anka said, "this would be funny if it were done as an act of ironic cruelty, but the fact that these are well meaning and sincere people makes it genuinely hilarious" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Seen on Reddit. All third-place countries at the time of these standings are former part of Austria-Hungary.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Not to complicate it but at the early Olympics Austria and Hungary competed separately - so who would have been in which team? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 25, 2024, 07:03:24 AMNot to complicate it but at the early Olympics Austria and Hungary competed separately - so who would have been in which team? :hmm:

This 1913 map might help:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

"Fun" fact - Hungarians, when they rebelled against the Habsburgs, exerted pressure on "their" minorities, like Croats, to "Hungarize" them. So must have sucked at the bottom of the pecking order - German-Austrians discriminating against Hungarians, Hungarians discriminating against (e.g.) Croats, etc. It's discrimination all the way down, I guess. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 25, 2024, 07:07:09 AM"Fun" fact - Hungarians, when they rebelled against the Habsburgs, exerted pressure on "their" minorities, like Croats, to "Hungarize" them. So must have sucked at the bottom of the pecking order - German-Austrians discriminating against Hungarians, Hungarians discriminating against (e.g.) Croats, etc. It's discrimination all the way down, I guess. :P

Do you mean 1848?  There were "fun" three-way village-burnings between Hungarians, Romanians, assortment of Southern Slavs, IIRC.

Hungarians are far from blameless (not just 1848 but policies post-1867 as well), but it is also worth noting that this was preceded by centuries of Habsburgs routinely playing the various nationalities (mostly non-Hungarians against the uppity Hungarian nobility) against each other.

Tamas

BTW that last-moment Italian goal has kept Hungarian hopes alive.

Now it will just take the small task of England beating Slovenia to ensure Hungary gets through.  :ph34r: