News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EURO 2024

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 16, 2024, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Justice would mean an English defeat, but the Danish team is not really up to it :(

HVC

Justice? Am I missing history? Or just a healthy, and warranted, disdain for English football?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on June 20, 2024, 11:59:52 AMJustice? Am I missing history? Or just a healthy, and warranted, disdain for English football?

There's some resentment about how things went down when Denmark played England in the last Euro.

Barrister

In university in the 1990s.  I went to visit someone who  lived in residence (I did not).  I was shocked to see that inlaid in the floor was a repeating swastika in the tiling.  The building dated back to the 1920s I think so it was obviously not meant as a nazi symbol (and in any event it was a left-turning swastika - the opposite of the nazi symbol) but still - I was surprised that some busybody in the prior 50 years hadn't complained and demanded what was otherwise some very nice tilework to be covered up.

Actually I googled it - the building (Tache Hall) was built in the 1910s, not 1920s, so clearly not any nazi influence.  But about a decade ago it was renovated so it is no longer a student residence.  Google could not tell me if the swastikas remained or not - I'm going to guess no.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2024, 11:53:48 AMThough the funniest remains: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Laundry
One second:
QuoteThe Swastika Laundry was an Irish business founded in 1912, located on Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, a district of Dublin. Due to its name and logo being associated with the Nazi Party in Germany, the name was changed in 1939 but their logo endured.

Surely the logo's the thing you'd change? :blink:

Also - wonder how the 1939 name change went:
QuoteIn 1939, the laundry changed its name to "The Swastika Laundry (1912)"[2] to make clear the distinction between its use of the name and symbol and the more recent adoption of the symbol by the Nazi Party in Germany.

Strong "will this do?" energy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Tak Danmark!  :)

1-1

Terrific goal!

Valmy

England with a meh performance for the ages.

Hopefully Spain and Italy give us something fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

These group stages are so pointless with a bunch of third place teams qualifying too.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

But, England aside, they have been pretty fun.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on June 20, 2024, 02:10:30 PMThese group stages are so pointless with a bunch of third place teams qualifying too.

A good chance one of those third places will be England, so be nice :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Watching TSN is funny. Commentators are Brits. English players could scratch their nuts and the colour commentary would go on about the brilliant move to use his left hand to throw off the opponents :D

Sheilbh

Funny because Alan Shearer on co-commentary here was basically like this (particularly about pressing) :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

So... Swedish tc commentators said: "It's actually fun to watch Spain this championship!"

And yeah, they've stopped being an embarrassment.