And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on Today at 03:21:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2024, 10:23:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2024, 09:18:12 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciV2nU04oo

Duke students walk out on commencement speaker Jerry Seinfeld.

Well that could have gone worse all things considered.

Are we drawing the success line at "the Jew didn't get lynched" now?

Well it was just a few people. A small number of hotheads.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on Today at 08:46:46 AMTo be fair, the Soviet constitution guaranteed you freedom of speech, but it didn't guarantee you freedom from consequences of speech.

Well other people's freedom of speech might be to say nasty things about you because you said something they didn't like. Are we talking about consequences beyond that?

I guess I didn't think anybody's freedom of speech meant nobody else had freedom of speech to express opinions about something you said.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on Today at 08:43:40 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2024, 08:29:20 AMThe Hamas charter talks about Jews living peacefully in an Islamic Palestine, so the genocide talk is overblown.

The Soviet constitution talked about guarantees of full civil liberties and rights, so talk about Stalinist oppression is overblown.

The US constitution talked about guarantees of full civil liberties and rights, so talk about US Racial oppression is overblown.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on Today at 08:54:47 AMFrom the original Hamas Covenant

(snip)

Much of the antisemitic language of the Covenant was not included in a much later Declaration of Principles; however, to my knowledge the original Covenant has never been revoked or repudiated.  That requires judgment as to whether the later declaration represents a sincere change in belief, or was merely political rhetoric intended to secure more mainstream Arab financial support.  I never believed there was much doubt on that point, but if any doubt existed, October 7 firmly resolved it.

QuoteUnder the wing of Islam, it is possible for the followers of the three religions - Islam, Christianity and Judaism - to coexist in peace and quiet with each other. Peace and quiet would not be possible except under the wing of Islam. Past and present history are the best witness to that.
Avalon Project
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Which would be a point in Islam's favor I guess if there were only three religions and people were free to move between them depending on their own conscience. But unfortunately that is not the case, at least not historically.

Razgovory

So did Grumbler convert or something?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Apparently, the UN's OCHA (Humanitarian coordination something) has without explanation halved the number of estimated women and children casualties in Gaza in their latest report, while leaving the total number unchanged. They used to constitute two-thirds of the number, now they are a little more than half.

Jacob

I see it reported that it's been halved "without explanation", but I've also seen an explanation reported:

The first (and larger) quoted number has been the official numbers provided by various Palestinian authorities. Numbers which - apparently - do not distinguish between civilians and military casualties. Those numbers also, of course, have whatever question marks you'd like to put next to numbers provided by Gazan authorities. I'm pretty sure that when OCHA has reported those numbers, they've mentioned the source.

The second number is a list of specific deaths, verified with name and with sources that aren't the Gazan authorities' casualty reports, and (possibly, I'm not sure) limited to civilians only. This means, if a death isn't individually verified by whoever collected the data, it's not included in the number.

In short, the discrepancy is about data collection and reporting methodology. I'm pretty sure it has been explained, but there are way too many clicks and rhetorical points to be made from ignoring that, so that's what we're seeing instead.

That's my understanding anyhow. I haven't dug super deep to verify, however.