News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Steam Deck

Started by Caliga, April 05, 2024, 09:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

In the reddit Steam Deck forum, Sleeping Dogs comes up often as a title people recommend in a couple of different contexts:

a) apparently runs very well
b) is a great game not everyone has heard of

 :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2024, 02:29:02 PMIn the reddit Steam Deck forum, Sleeping Dogs comes up often as a title people recommend in a couple of different contexts:

a) apparently runs very well
b) is a great game not everyone has heard of

 :cool:

B shouldn't be the case here at Languish.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Sleeping dogs 2 now.

It's sad this whole gta like genre seems to have died.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2024, 02:29:02 PMIn the reddit Steam Deck forum, Sleeping Dogs comes up often as a title people recommend in a couple of different contexts:

a) apparently runs very well
b) is a great game not everyone has heard of

 :cool:

 :)

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2024, 02:31:02 PMB shouldn't be the case here at Languish.

Yeah... I do kind of bring it up every so often  :blush:

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on July 06, 2024, 03:09:27 PMSleeping dogs 2 now.

It's sad this whole gta like genre seems to have died.

Every couple of years I come across the possible murmurings of maybe Sleeping Dogs 2 potentially becoming a thing, but so far nothing's materialized.

Hope springs eternal, of course :D

Jacob

As for my first motivation for getting the Steam Deck, I attempted to get modded Skyrim to work on the deck.

I found a reddit post with links to some dude (pikdum - which in danish translates to "cock-stupid") who's made some sort of simple script click to install vortex and make it work on the deck with just a few extra steps. I tried it out, and it didn't work. So so far, I'm 0 for 1.

That said, I remain optimistic. Apparently Nexus has a new app in Alpha which is supposed to work on the deck - so if it gets stable maybe there'll be a truly idiot proof way to install mods.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2024, 09:10:44 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2024, 02:29:02 PMIn the reddit Steam Deck forum, Sleeping Dogs comes up often as a title people recommend in a couple of different contexts:

a) apparently runs very well
b) is a great game not everyone has heard of

 :cool:

 :)

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2024, 02:31:02 PMB shouldn't be the case here at Languish.

Yeah... I do kind of bring it up every so often  :blush:

It really was a great game :cheers:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2024, 09:18:12 PMThat said, I remain optimistic. Apparently Nexus has a new app in Alpha which is supposed to work on the deck - so if it gets stable maybe there'll be a truly idiot proof way to install mods.

I heard Nexus is launching on Linux but it's being rolled out game by game with Stardew Valley either the first or one of the early ones.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 05, 2024, 12:39:07 PMSo I've really enjoyed the deck so far.

Decided I wanted to play stuff before getting into mucking around with settings and mods and whatnot. So I got Fallout 4 and it's been good so far. Though now I'm mucking around with settlement building and I'm not sure how much I want to play a building sim or not.

Sim Settlements 2 is a great way to handle building settlements.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2024, 04:38:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 05, 2024, 12:39:07 PMSo I've really enjoyed the deck so far.

Decided I wanted to play stuff before getting into mucking around with settings and mods and whatnot. So I got Fallout 4 and it's been good so far. Though now I'm mucking around with settlement building and I'm not sure how much I want to play a building sim or not.

Sim Settlements 2 is a great way to handle building settlements.

The mod sounds great. On a casual skim I came across some claims that it's pretty resource intensive, which might be a challenge on the Steam Deck. Does that match your experience?

Jacob

Re: getting Vortex up and running on the deck, I've come across a few tutorials for doing it using Lutris / Proton Experimental (I think it was) / some other things that essentially puts Vortex (and Skyrim / Fallout) in a Windows environment on the deck.

Do any of you know if there are performance implications to this (or other things to look out for)?

Jacob

So it appears I've successfully installed Mod Manager 2 on my deck and can launch Skyrim through it. I haven't tested it with any actual mods yet, as Nexus was down for maintenance when I did this.

I would've preferred Vortex since that's familiar to me - it's what I've been using on my PC - but I didn't have much luck with the tutorials I tried to follow.

Lots of folks prefer MO2 to Vortex, so I'm sure it'll be fine once I'm used to it.