News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Did You Have a Fake ID?

Started by Admiral Yi, March 01, 2024, 08:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2024, 11:00:20 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 02, 2024, 07:18:43 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 02, 2024, 06:27:49 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 02, 2024, 01:41:09 AMDrinking age over here is 16, so no need.

And even so we could easily buy alcohol when I started going out at 13.

I was really short, but never once got carded once I grew facial hair.

Same here.
Back in the day, a dad could buy a beer or glass of wine in a café or bar, tell his 12- year old son something along the lines "well I'm not that thirsty, you can finish it if you will" and nobody would bat an eye, not even the café or bar owner.
I wish we were as liberal as Portugal. :P

That was also the case in France.  :P
Things changed for the worse, however.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2024, 10:59:33 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2024, 11:55:14 PMThis group included semi-notorious Ezra Levant.  Problem was though I was only 17.  I wound up borrowing some guy's student ID from Laurentian University.  He looked enough like me - at a distance and if you squinted.  But anyways it worked - we got in to the bar.
That is still a crime, using someone else ID to get a prohibited substance.

It's a huge crime in English Canada.

You should self-report yourself, just to be on the safe side.  :P

It would be an offence under the Gaming and Liquor Act - but not a crime.  So there. :P

At 48 years old I actually was carded earlier this year.  It's more flattering than anything at this age.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

No. Never needed one. There were some pubs that were a little relaxed about that sort of thing as long as you weren't taking the piss/getting too drunk.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2024, 08:01:07 PMThere were some pubs that were a little relaxed about that sort of thing as long as you weren't taking the piss/getting too drunk.

The greater good!

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

People with my condition shouldn't drink.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on March 03, 2024, 03:44:59 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2024, 08:01:07 PMThere were some pubs that were a little relaxed about that sort of thing as long as you weren't taking the piss/getting too drunk.

The greater good!

:)

Love that movie.

chipwich

No, because I was never a lair, a criminal, or an alcoholic.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 03, 2024, 07:57:33 PM:)

Love that movie.
Same - but speak to anyone who lived in rural England as a kid and it is alarmingly accurate :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2024, 03:07:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 03, 2024, 07:57:33 PM:)

Love that movie.
Same - but speak to anyone who lived in rural England as a kid and it is alarmingly accurate :lol: :ph34r:

The cop stuff (well, the early cop stuff) is amazingly accurate as well - even in North America.

Sheilbh

I suppose small towns are small towns everywhere.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2024, 04:01:22 PMI suppose small towns are small towns everywhere.

Oh no - small Alberta towns are pretty different from Hot Fuzz.   :lol:

I was more talking about Sgt Angel showing the importance of your notebook, of keeping proper records, and generally how much of of police work is paperwork.  Even chasing the missing swans - maybe not swans in particular but the kind of mundane stuff police have to do routinely.

Then of course they do an epic shoot-out in the grocery store.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2024, 04:07:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2024, 04:01:22 PMI suppose small towns are small towns everywhere.

Oh no - small Alberta towns are pretty different from Hot Fuzz.  :lol:
You don't have regular, epic shootouts in small towns grocery stores?
We neither.

Maybe there's more in common between Quebec and Alberta than we ever thought possible! We're not Americans!!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on March 02, 2024, 04:47:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2024, 10:59:33 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2024, 11:55:14 PMThis group included semi-notorious Ezra Levant.  Problem was though I was only 17.  I wound up borrowing some guy's student ID from Laurentian University.  He looked enough like me - at a distance and if you squinted.  But anyways it worked - we got in to the bar.
That is still a crime, using someone else ID to get a prohibited substance.

It's a huge crime in English Canada.

You should self-report yourself, just to be on the safe side.  :P

It would be an offence under the Gaming and Liquor Act - but not a crime.  So there. :P

At 48 years old I actually was carded earlier this year.  It's more flattering than anything at this age.

I was frequently carded (in my 50s -  good skin, minimal hair) in NYC a few years ago but weirdly never in Denver last year.