News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Paradox Tinto Game - "Project Caesar"

Started by Syt, February 28, 2024, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Not convinced that having 300+ countries in the HRE is good for gameplay.

Syt

Someone stitched together the European map known so far.

Full size: https://i.imgur.com/AohPmV6.jpeg
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Tamas

I suspect they haven't officially named it EU5 yet because they are not sure this will turn out as something they want to waste the brand on.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

I've been listening to too much Bach.  The first thing I think of when looking at the map is all the potential open kapellmeister positions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2024, 10:18:56 PMI've been listening to too much Bach.  The first thing I think of when looking at the map is all the potential open kapellmeister positions.

That will probably come in the form of one flavour pack. priced at 6-10 Euros

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 26, 2024, 03:26:26 PMNot convinced that having 300+ countries in the HRE is good for gameplay.

Johan said on the forums that most of the realms in the HRE have partition on inheritance too :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

My history knowledge is insufficient, but were HRE princes really that much more independent than other feudal vassals of the time?

Norgy

I hope they do some work on manpower and rather more or less overstate the importance of mercenaries.
But, I am sure that guy on YouTube will do a world conquest with Ulm with this one too, and that Polacks and Serbs will complain how underpowered their countries are.

The HRE was a mess of different laws, taxes, currencies and whatnot, Zanza. From what little I know, the prince-bishops were pretty powerful in their own right, with the church at their backs. The Hanseatic cities were pretty much independent.

Feudalism is a tricky concept to explain, as far as I know, because it varied so much. A lord swears fealty. On certain conditions. And those could vary rather a lot. Rather hard for a computer game to simulate, at least.

crazy canuck

Yeah, hard to code for the relationships within the HRE.  Let alone understand them all in sufficient detail to begin coding.

Norgy

I think Paradox did a fairly good job at adding flavour and charm to EU IV after a while with all the expansions. The mission trees sort of made the game come alive. But they took their sweet time.

My hope for this new game is that they make it feel you have to make hard choices just to stay alive, rather than another paint the map game. Not that it is not fun to paint the map, but one of the strengths of EU II was the events that made you go "Oh, dear god not now!".

Colonisation should also be reverted to building a trading post etc rather than the mundane "send colonist" of EU IV.

I think the princes of the HRE would agree that programming that kind of world order within the confines of mathematics would be a bit hard.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on July 27, 2024, 02:44:20 AMMy history knowledge is insufficient, but were HRE princes really that much more independent than other feudal vassals of the time?
I think to an extent. But also you maybe need to emphasise it in a game (if you want some degree resemblance to history) because even if there weren't huge differences between HRE and other bits of feudal Europe in the 15th century, by the 18th century there were and it was very distinctive.

Similarly the role HRE fragmentation plays in the Reformation and the Wars of Religion is really important and possible needs a little bit of hard-coding.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

The 14th century emperors were weak, with competing claims in Germany and imperial interregnums, at a time when the French and English crowns were making (admittedly mixed) efforts to consolidate and expand royal jurisdiction. Erring the other way would make the emperors far too strong.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson