News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Paradox Tinto Game? EU5?

Started by Syt, February 28, 2024, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 24, 2024, 05:02:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2024, 04:56:27 AMJohan also said on the forums that the goal is that the game is at release as rich in features and content as EU4 is with all its expansions.  :hmm:
Most of the recent expansions were just mission trees, events and graphics assets. Maybe they have a way to migrate that content to the new game with little effort?

He said he doesn't like the EU4 mission trees and that they will handle that kind of thing differently.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2024, 05:03:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2024, 04:56:27 AMJohan also said on the forums that the goal is that the game is at release as rich in features and content as EU4 is with all its expansions.  :hmm:

I do get vibes of Magna Mundi when I read through that forum and his posts. All like it will solve all the problems that have been baked into the series over time.

It feels like he's trying to make "the ultimate map game" - which, I guess, is fair enough. But maybe also have a look at stuff that can be *removed* :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

I guess there's no "pick your own start date" either.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2024, 05:03:16 AM

I do get vibes of Magna Mundi when I read through that forum and his posts. All like it will solve all the problems that have been baked into the series over time.
Same. Enlarging the scope in every dimension will be tough to deliver.

Josquius

Are they stepping away from the continuous income flow DLC overload model?

Quote from: Josephus on March 24, 2024, 05:22:57 AMI guess there's no "pick your own start date" either.

Why?
Surely that shouldn't be too hard to code? Its basically a save with the world as it actually was at points in history no?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on March 24, 2024, 08:14:23 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 24, 2024, 05:22:57 AMI guess there's no "pick your own start date" either.

Why?
Surely that shouldn't be too hard to code? Its basically a save with the world as it actually was at points in history no?

They moved away from that in games as it was a lot of work for limited gain (aka most people went to earliest start).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Have we considered one thing? Since this is a Tinto project, maybe it is considered a bit of a quirky hardcore project like Victoria 3 and it is not meant to become the next flagship game of Paradox.

Syt

Well, Johan is certainly not one to design for mass market appeal. :P

Though I guess it's true that EU is no longer the flagship? Replaced by CK, HOI, Stellaris, all of which are a bit more approachable, I guess (maybe not HOI)?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Going by the peak of the last 24h, EU4 has 23k players, CK3 has 28k, Stellaris 21k, HoI4 has 65k, Victoria 3 has 11k players. Paradox considers the first four evergreens with continuous revenue potential. I am a bit surprised that Stellaris isn't higher to be honest.

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on March 24, 2024, 10:15:26 AMGoing by the peak of the last 24h, EU4 has 23k players, CK3 has 28k, Stellaris 21k, HoI4 has 65k, Victoria 3 has 11k players. Paradox considers the first four evergreens with continuous revenue potential. I am a bit surprised that Stellaris isn't higher to be honest.

where do you find this info?

What's surprising with EU4 is that we are , despite the DLCs, talking about a 10 year old game. That' s quite impressive.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

Stellaris is getting fairly old too, about to turn 8 years. HoI4 is also the same age, though I guess there are enough tankies/wehraboos to keep the player numbers up? :D

Zanza

Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2024, 05:53:59 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 24, 2024, 10:15:26 AMGoing by the peak of the last 24h, EU4 has 23k players, CK3 has 28k, Stellaris 21k, HoI4 has 65k, Victoria 3 has 11k players. Paradox considers the first four evergreens with continuous revenue potential. I am a bit surprised that Stellaris isn't higher to be honest.

where do you find this info?

What's surprising with EU4 is that we are , despite the DLCs, talking about a 10 year old game. That' s quite impressive.
My figures were from steamdb.info.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on March 24, 2024, 08:14:23 AM

Are they stepping away from the continuous income flow DLC overload model?

Why?

It is actually a lot of work to ensure some form of historical start for each possible date.  That is why they are abandoning it.

Zanza

They should at least allow modders to define a different start date. That's work that modders can do very well.

Syt

I hope it won't be just another map painter and attempt to focus more on the simulation aspect, but I doubt that's the audience these days. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould