News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

For sure...I guess my thoughts on doomstacks are:

- If the idea of anti-doomstack is to have forces spread out more naturally along a border/frontier.
- Hyperlanes limits this potential of course, by creating natural chokepoints...even if the ease up other aspects of a 4x space sim.  (and of course, Stellaris wasn't isolated to hyperlanes when it first came out...they forced the change I think to simplify other features)
- Because overwhelming concentration of force is always nice, you need a system where the disadvantages of concentrating the force scale appropriately (e.g. while the doomstack might roam about KO'ing each systems/defensesin turn, several smaller opposing forces could dance around it and pick off the doomstack's rear lines...forcing a doomstack to disperse to counter). 

Threviel

Makes me think of Roman history. When the Romans could doomstack the Persians they curbstomped them quite handily most often. The issue was that other enemies made doomstacking a very rare occurence indeed, the Romans had to spread their armies on all frontiers and thus the Persian doomstacks, while smaller, often had the upper hand.

So, in an isolated conflict with one narrow border the largest doomstack should win, but that's not always the case in Stellaris, often there are other lanes and all empires most often have other neighbours complicating stuff.

My point being that doomstacks is a very valid military tactic, it's just that other concerns should make them quite rare.

Solmyr

In other words, Vic3-style frontlines are the way to go to avoid doomstacks. :P Not sure how it would work in a space game though.

Tamas

The big problem with Stellaris (and to be fair I have a LOT of hours in it) is that as a strategy game it is incredibly simplistic and boring. Two things make it unique: one are the exploration events which I haven't bothered to really read in years. The second is the race customisation, which then lets you imagine in your head that you are playing something unique. Because, except for comparing some extreme edge cases like pacifist vs exterminator, I see no meaningful difference in how you play different races.

I am tempted to say that the success of Stellaris is more a damning of the sci-fi 4x games on offer, rather than a compliment of the game itself.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on May 16, 2024, 09:00:32 AMThe big problem with Stellaris (and to be fair I have a LOT of hours in it) is that as a strategy game it is incredibly simplistic and boring. Two things make it unique: one are the exploration events which I haven't bothered to really read in years. The second is the race customisation, which then lets you imagine in your head that you are playing something unique. Because, except for comparing some extreme edge cases like pacifist vs exterminator, I see no meaningful difference in how you play different races.

I am tempted to say that the success of Stellaris is more a damning of the sci-fi 4x games on offer, rather than a compliment of the game itself.

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

:P

It's the opposite. I want to see innovation. Stellaris has gone stale.

frunk

Someone should resurrect and complete Stars: Supernova Genesis.  The best way to advance forward is to plunder the past.

Zanza

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 14, 2024, 08:06:11 PMOne of the things I've also noticed in my Stellaris playthroughs, is that even a massive military tech advantage (in weapons/shields) will never seem to scale well to overcome a significant numerical advantage.

This may be by design, but hits hard against tech-heavy, "tall" playthroughs.
I feel that tech makes quite a difference in Stellaris and can overcome numerical disadvantage. However your naval capacity also scales with tech, so you normally will have an advantage in quality and quantity with high tech.

Zanza

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 15, 2024, 08:27:59 PM- Hyperlanes limits this potential of course, by creating natural chokepoints...even if the ease up other aspects of a 4x space sim.  (and of course, Stellaris wasn't isolated to hyperlanes when it first came out...they forced the change I think to simplify other features)
Before limiting to hyperlanes, using warp drives instead took away any notion of terrain. It was impossible to build static defenses as fleets could just jump anywhere - still the case in late game now. So there was no front and no choke points before. Just fleets jumping around.

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on May 16, 2024, 12:01:27 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 15, 2024, 08:27:59 PM- Hyperlanes limits this potential of course, by creating natural chokepoints...even if the ease up other aspects of a 4x space sim.  (and of course, Stellaris wasn't isolated to hyperlanes when it first came out...they forced the change I think to simplify other features)
Before limiting to hyperlanes, using warp drives instead took away any notion of terrain. It was impossible to build static defenses as fleets could just jump anywhere - still the case in late game now. So there was no front and no choke points before. Just fleets jumping around.

And endless chasing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I feel Distant Worlds had that solved to some degree. Besides having range being a factor, ships required fuel to travel between stars. So unless you had fuel stations along your invasion routes and/or had tankers accompany your fleets you couldn't just strike anywhere and had to advance slowly and protect your fuel supply routes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on May 16, 2024, 12:54:24 PM

I feel Distant Worlds had that solved to some degree. Besides having range being a factor, ships required fuel to travel between stars. So unless you had fuel stations along your invasion routes and/or had tankers accompany your fleets you couldn't just strike anywhere and had to advance slowly and protect your fuel supply routes.

Yeah, Distant worlds II has the better combat and strategy.