News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2024, 08:58:50 AMThe full-sized version of the Pharaoh Total War game is getting relesed today as a free update to existing owners (like poor old me). Going to take a look at it.

Full sized version?
You mean an extensive patch or something else?

I bought 3 kingdoms not too long ago. Had heard it was great. Its...OK. But total war just hasn't progressed much at all. Also sad to hear they basically abandoned it despite it being successful and will never do the obvious best selling DLC of Korea.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 21, 2024, 08:52:01 PMIt's a modern take on Euro jank. I did 2 dungeons. They are fairly straightforward.

I tried the demo in the last Steam Next Fest.  Seemed quite nice but didn't really stand out for me.  Not sure who the target audience is: Sound of Music fans that play Zelda games?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on July 25, 2024, 09:09:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2024, 08:58:50 AMThe full-sized version of the Pharaoh Total War game is getting relesed today as a free update to existing owners (like poor old me). Going to take a look at it.

Full sized version?
You mean an extensive patch or something else?

I bought 3 kingdoms not too long ago. Had heard it was great. Its...OK. But total war just hasn't progressed much at all. Also sad to hear they basically abandoned it despite it being successful and will never do the obvious best selling DLC of Korea.

As in a map expansion to more Total War-y scale to Greece and the Middle East. Plus a lot of improvements/additions as I recall, but I don't remember the details.

Crazy_Ivan80

from what I've seen they've basically done a TW:Rome II - Augustus on it. Maybe it'll have the same effect of making a game that was lacklustre into a something that's good

Syt

The Pharaoh update was announced a few weeks ago; I was at first optimistic, then I saw they seem to put in leaders and factions from TW:Troy, like Agamemnon. :hmm:

Though I think Pharaoh seemed to get some praise for its mechanics, i.e. leading towards to Bronze Age Collapse.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I have always wanted a good/fun strategy game set in the Bronze age. This might make me buy it, if the reviews of the update are good.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on July 26, 2024, 03:19:21 AMI have always wanted a good/fun strategy game set in the Bronze age. This might make me buy it, if the reviews of the update are good.

Spent about 15 minutes with it. Promising Bronze Age total war game. My only worry after such a little time is if they have maybe added too many small tidbits. Like, you can get temporary bonuses parking your army at outposts which are like the non-walled cities in provinces used to be in previous games (except they are not cities, just a single building).

Then you can get bonuses from the deity you choose to worship. You get generic ones, then you can dedicate a single general to the given deity who gets specific bonuses from that. Later on you can unlock up to 3 deity slots to worship.

The tech tree is replaced with "royal decrees" which is fine I don't care what they are called but it seems they sat down and thought REALLY hard how they could make the tech tree as complicated as humanly possible.

There is a court system which made perfect sense in Egypt, makes less sense in Mesopotamia where I was playing (there as lower court ranks you have the individual kings of city states and then one of them is the "king of the universe" nominally ruling over them). Here you have two stats you can earn and pay doing plots and requests to climb the ranks. 

There's your family as well to manage like in other TW games lately.

And the tooltips give you so much info I was kind of struggling with them a bit, like maybe smaller more concise tooltips may have been better.

But I don't want to diss the game too much, despite the above my first impression is that this could be a very nice Bronze Age strategy game, and it's not like we have many of those.

Syt

Yeah. Chariots of War, to lesser degree Imperiums: Greek Wars (if you start in pre-classical eras), and Old World, though that covers technically till early Middle Ages, I guess.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Total War were some of those we used to play, most of us here. And it was awesome having a rig that was very close to being on fire and watching your cavalry smash into some unsuspecting archers in Medieval: TW.
I had stuffed two Radeon cards into a rather small cabinet, and could probably have used that computer for cooking as the cataphracts of Byzantium attacked.

TW has had some good times, and some rather bad. The Stories attempts weren't very good. 

I tried my hand at "The Long Dark". I have absolutely no clue what to do, except survive and ended up in threadbare conditions in some train on my way to, well, I don't know. Just follow the rail line, I suppose.

Josquius

A strategy game based around the ancient Greek world that isn't just a paint the map game (nor does it hint at being that but it makes it really unfair and difficult to do so) but properly represents the periods of myriad of city states would be great.

I had a dream last night. In this dream I'd read about a new Dune game in development that was being absolutely trashed as the worst thing ever. I saw a video of it and it turns out it was a updated version of the original Dune and looked a bit clunky and had terrible FMV acting but was otherwise awesome.
██████
██████
██████